skip & getting rid of junk

Aly

We have tons of junk in our barn, our architect tells us its expensive to get rid of junk because of tax on different materials; any advise on skips or companies that remove junk and costs. We managed to get rid of unwanted furniture via a charity

We too had to get rid of all kinds of "junk" left on the property by the previous owners. We loaded up a friend's truck and took it to the local dechetterie. Had to show we were local residents, did that - and there was no charge to dump the "stuff." Now, we go there often to get rid of sacks of weed cuttings, empty paint cans, etc. Really handy and FREE..

Here in Manche we now have a Benne location company, apparently they charge 80 euros for the hire of a skip, for as long as you want it!  So we will be using this company in September to empty our barn of rubbish.

[quote]Here in Manche we now have a Benne location company, apparently they charge 80 euros for the hire of a skip, for as long as you want it! So we will be using this company in September to empty our bar...[/quote]

I'd be very surprised if that is the true cost. Hiring of bennes here in Mayenne is around double that. Then there is always a collection and delivery charge, then often an additional charge for the disposal of the waste according to what it is. I would check these charges before agreeing to hire as you may be shocked. Some companies now expect you to "trier" the waste too.

I have a tipper truck and dispose of roofing slates and rubble from building works and wall knock throughs at one of three local decheterries. I used to pay an annual cotisation for this but now pay about 9 euros per m3. Rubbish from private individuals should be free to dump, I only pay because I have a business.

Paul

We've just had an invoice today for a 15m3 benne at one of our sites and the charges are as follows bearing in mind that it was all the same rubbish namely concrete and stone.We had it for one day only as three of us working hard filled it quickly.

Mise en place Benne     50,00 €  HT 

Reprise Benne              60,00 €  HT

Déchets Démolition Category 1  102,26 €  HT

Location journalière 15m3            7,20  € HT

Total 262,47 € TTC

If you mix all sorts of other rubbish together than the charge for sorting that is very very expensive. 

Guest CFrost

Hi, we did much the same as everyone else, loaded up our van and took it the decheterie.  We took all types including rubble, garden, paper etc. and as everyone says, it was free

kimberley

I'd be very surprised if that is the true cost. Hiring of bennes here in Mayenne is around double that. Then there is always a collection and delivery charge, then often an additional charge for the disposal of the waste according to what it is. I would check these charges before agreeing to hire as you may be shocked. Some companies now expect you to "trier" the waste too.

When I said "apparently" it was really just a figure of speech.  It was a friend who told me this cost, having used the company himself recently for much the same reason we want to - to clear out of the barn of the rubbish therein.  The company is based at our local dechetterie, which has only been in existance for about a year and takes all the stuff from the bennes.  There may well be delivery and collection charges to more distant locations, but within the commune I have been told that it comes within the 80€ charge.  Nonetheless, as a belt and braces precaution I will ask about Punch and Val's extra charges before signing up to anything.  Thanks.

Your local Mairie will obviously know, plus it gets your faces seen by the staff/mayor etc. We only visit our 4 walled barn 4 times a year but always call in and they make us feel 'at home' They obviously appreciate our feeble attempts at French, one of the staff (unbeknown to us at the time) owns a Gite with the Gite de France scheme and we now use that for £200 per week, certainly beats a musty old caravan when we have the kids there..plus we catch up on bits of gossip pertaining to our build. Got to be worth the effort in my opinion.

Show them you're making a big effort and it will reap rewards.

Check that you'r commune doesn't have a monthly "heavy squad" collection.  One a month we can put out all manner of junk on the street (really, you wouldn't believe what these guys have taken away for us!).  Totally free (well, everything's paid for in one way or another, namely taxes).

On that, does anyone know if it would be appropriate for us to give these guys a few cases of beer as a thank-you.  They must groan when they get to our house!  I wouldn't hesitate in England, but would it be frowned upon here?