Plasterboard joints

Nick Trollope

If this helps what I did was to use the fine bandage type mesh with a slightly sticky back which is used in the UK when plastering the joints if they are irregular (not the paper)

I then used the very fine plaster like crepe (don't know if that is right spelling) and feathered out from the joint about 5 cm per side so it was not proud, with a very good stainless steel spatula 5 cm wide. After this I very lightly sanded with 320 grit and it came out great

Dont sand to hard or you will come on to the bandage type mesh.

regards

[quote]I don't understand the last reply...[/quote]

I do. His hat is about the same density as his brain...

In the past, I have done as you suggest and chamfered the edge with a surform, but the chamfer can't be wide enough to tape the joint, so I have only filled it with enduit de lissage. I am worried about the long-term stability of the joint.

VJ's suggestion may work, but it is bound to leave a raised bump (however smooth) above the tape.

Am I missing something obvious, such as a cutter to cut a 50mm x 3mm slot down the board?

[quote]Hi When butting 2 pieces of plasterboard without the chamfered edges, how does one obtain a lump and crack-free tape & fill joint? Any help appreciated![/quote]

I am not an expert but when I plasterboarded I got some stuff called Enduit de Lissage (I think it is called).  It gives you a bit of time, after you have spread it, to feather it with a moist sponge.  This avoids the need to do any rubbing down and making all of that dust.  This of course is applied after taping.

If I have recalled the name incorrectly the correct stuff is next to it on the shelves of the Brico.  One stuff is for deep joints and sets quickly, the other stuff is for thin coats and gives a longer working period.

weedon

PS

Just noticed you have posted again and already know about Enduit de Lissage.

Hi

I think the original chamfered boards give an easy, and excellently finished, join.

If I was using square sided boards, I'd be tempted to create the chamfer by running down the joint (gently) with a grinder - then finish with tape and smooth off as usually.

Peter

I think ( but not absolutely sure) that Nick is having the same problems anyone would have, in so much you can't always have tapered edges meeting, even when those are the boards you are doing the work with

So in that case you will sometimes have 2 unchamfered edges meeting or one against a straight edge. In which case you just have to do ther best you can by chamfering the boards where required or just knock one side in a bit and fill in as best you can, with care you can make a good finish, nothing beats plastering and a good "spread" is more than a match for any tape jointer/finisher!

Miki you are so right

I always like a skimmed plaster coat over the whole board it beats dry lining boards any day

I would appreciate any one who knows the French equivalent of universal plaster letting me know, as I am bringing my own at present

If you go to the website that Nelson quotes and look uner 'Partition' and then 'Panelplus' you will see the system that as used in Wimpey houses, at least in the 70s and who knows possibly still so today.

I do not know what the costs of the panels are but it is a very quick way of building a wall. It consists of wooden battens at the top and bottom and a batten linking two panels.

It consists of crosses of cardboard separating the two sides in with holes in so that cables can be passed down, either by pushing something down through the holes or, commonly, pushing something down to clear the crosses for the cables.

Paul

Hello...

I have plastered lots.... what I will say is that you should always use either the paper or the sticky netting tape... never do it without cause it will always crack when the summer is a scorcher or the winter is a freezer..

Always fan out at least 15cm each side of the tape when the joints are cut joints.

Never try to do it in one coat... always just give it a filling then do the smooth coat.

Use a wide scraper about 10 inches wide.

Use paper tape on inverted corners and sticky netting tape on all others.. and use the metal corners on outer corners.

Enduit is available from lafarge.. 35...is fast drying..45 medium and 55 is slow.

lafarge is the best make.... I have used many. The ready mixed stuff is not worth the saving.

For an all over plaster there is something in france called Lettuce 2000 ( forgive the spelling )..

Ok this is not gospel but it is according to me and I have plastered over 30 houses in my life..

Hope this helps...even more

music...