Moulded concrete driveways?

zeb

Just come back from a hectic weekend in North East Essex, where, on several of our outings, son in law pointed out new driveways made of some sort of moulded, coloured concrete (mostly russet coloured but we did see one which looked like sandstone). He said the dyed concrete was laid and a mould pressed over it to achieve the desired pattern.

Have any of you seen it? Can someone point me to a website as we would like to know what mix is used and how it's done?

Hello,

Over the Winter I worked in a factory that made concrete building components.

I imagine a textured rubber mat is used for the driveways, laid on the surface and reapplied within minutes elsewhere.

We also used many dyes for the beton and also applied an aggressive paint onto the surface which when hosed off with a Karcher revealed the component aggregates which where chosen for the look of the thing by well dressed Parisien architects who minced around the dirty factory floor terrified of the possibility of actually touching or being touched.

Not what you asked about... sorry!

[quote user="zeb"]Just come back from a hectic weekend in North East Essex, where, on several of our outings, son in law pointed out new driveways made of some sort of moulded, coloured concrete (mostly russet coloured but we did see one which looked like sandstone). He said the dyed concrete was laid and a mould pressed over it to achieve the desired pattern.

Have any of you seen it? Can someone point me to a website as we would like to know what mix is used and how it's done?[/quote]

Yes, you can get this sort of thing here.  At the 'Habitat' show in Périgueux in the Autumn there was at least one company with a stand for this.  I'm sorry though, I can't remember what they are called, so not much help really other than yes, they do exist.

The signs I pass are all "Creteprint", looks like they are moving along the road, so must be a good sign (?) - can't see a web site and have passed too quickly to get the number.  I know it starts 0800 though.  If I get a chance will try to get the rest 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

We had our drive in cornwall laid with this about 5 years ago, and its brilliant as there are no joins for weeds to come up through, and very easy to keep clean, we have a grey cob stone effect, and we hav'nt yet had a visitor who hasnt thought it was real cob.

It comes in lots of colours and you can mix the coulours to create your own shade, and you can have it to look like any type of stone,(slate,brick, flagstones,cob,ect...) but check with your agent who you pick because these rubber mats they imprint with are very expensive so they usally only have a couple of popular ones. first they lay metal grids to give it strengh then pour the coloured  concrete on top, you can then sprinkle another colour on top to make it look more natural, (we had pale grey with a darker grey on top to give shades as stone isnt naturally one shade)) then they imprint with the rubber mats. ours still looks as good as the day it was laid. no only used for drives but great for around pools and patios, if you look on the internet there are sites showing examples

Go to google put (imprinted drives) and loads come up one is www.cobblestonepaving.co.uk  hope this helps we couldnt be happier with ours, but be carefully there are cowboys out there, they have to mix a resin type stuff to the conrete to make it very hard and stop it flaking, a lot dont use this as it is expensive so it looks good for a little while then starts to break up (my drive maker told me this)