Whilst we are on the subject of woodburners

Frank

Can anyone advise???

Hi everyone, I have had a poele installed and I have on numerous occasions tried to light it, unsuccessfully I might add. I am building a mini pile inside with dry wood etc, zip cubes, letting burn like mad, all vents open, then adding said lump of wood, burn like crazy, then begin to regulate air flow, so far so good, then I check and the blighter has gone out again!!!! I have no idea what I am doing wrong. We have a brand new, very expensive insulated external chimney from climair, the poele is ok for this type, but no matter what I do, no more that 1hrs worth of burning and my big lumps of wood go out!! Today, not only has my poele gone out, but there seems to be quite a lot of ash inside...is this normal?? should I worry[:-))] I know this is longwinded and you have all probably got better things to do, but any helpful advice would be greatlyfully appreciated, especially as it is now getting quite chilly[:(]

many thanks in advance

kimberly

How dry is your wood?

Fires start better (imo) when there's a bed of ash but if you put in your "mini pile", then a zip cube, then criss-cross (to allow the air to draw through) lots of smaller pieces of wood - say a dozen which are a couple of centimentres in diameter (or square!). Then, when those have burnt down by, say, 50% and the fire is quite lively, add a few  bigger pieces. Only when those are well alight and there's a good bed of glowing embers from the smaller wood should you add really big pieces. But the drier the wood (ie, seasoned) the better the result.

With mine I start the fire (small bits of wood, etc.) and as it is catching, virtually close the door, leaving the control vent fully open. This seems to cause the thing to really suck air in through it.

When I first light it I do the small pile of fine twigs, etc. but also put some larger bits of wood on as well (1" diam type size). Thus, as it starts, so the larger wood is also catching and will be burning by bthe time the very small twigs, etc. have burnt out.

No idea if I'm doing it right but normally lights 1st time. the guy that installed it showed me about mostly (not entirely) closing the front door to get the draft going.

Ian

Don't have too larger pieces of wood to burn is one of the secrets of a good poele fire and if it is a round piece, slice it open so the inside can catch much easier and as the others have said and I agree, get a bed going first with kindling and perhaps a firelighter and then add more solid pieces of wood.

Sounds to me as if you may well have problems with the draught.

It is worth checking that the vent is actually opening properly: the thermostat may have failed.

If you have an opening door at the front, for clearing out the ash, beneath the main door/doors, try opening this when the fire dies and see if it then burns up. If it does, then voila, a draught problem.

I light mine with small bits of kindling on screwed up newspaper, then large bits of kindling, then simply dump split logs on and away it goes! Don't need any firelighters; I have used BBQ lighter gel when there was no dry kindling and this fired up the larger bits OK.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the replies, I am now at the bottom of the problem.  My french friend came round for a cuppa and she identified the problem as wood too long to create enough base (although t he poele  info states the wood size correct, so her hubby cut it down for me, very nice man!)  And also ventilation or draught, so hopefully with the info of the forum and friends, I should be nice and warm this winter[:D]

Thanks again

kimberly

Not yet used mine this year but just remembered the description above of what I do in wrong in that I close the large front and side doors (the ones where you put the wood in) and slightly open the bottom door that gives access to the ash tray. It is this that allows a good draft to go through.

Ian

Yep, Cooperlola.  Our heating engineer near had apoplexy last year when he serviced the boiler because he could not see a permanent source of natural ventilation.  When I showed him it (a vent at ground level) he was mighty relieved because he reckoned our house insurance would have been invalidated without it.  However, the boiler (wood/oil) is in the buanderie, I guess the same regs probably do not apply in a living area, though a good flow of air is important for the poêle or whatever to draw properly.