Plasterboard props at Lidl

zeb

Thought I'd spread the good news for those of you who are plasterboarding ceilings. They are available this week at Lidls, dirt cheap and worth their weight in gold, so hurry.

I know....I bought some for my partner 4 years ago when I got fed up of being a human plasterboard prop!

You could knock up something even better out of 3x2. Known in the trade as a "Dead man" its nothing more than a length of 3x2 an inch shorter than finish floor to underside of the p.board with a further three foot of 4x2 nailed to the top to form a ....T      add a couple of short diagonal braces to stop the top bit from moving and you have a great tool for throwing up 8 x 4's from dawn till dusk.

[quote user="legs_akimbo"]You could knock up something even better out of 3x2. Known in the trade as a "Dead man" its nothing more than a length of 3x2 an inch shorter than finish floor to underside of the p.board with a further three foot of 4x2 nailed to the top to form a ....T      add a couple of short diagonal braces to stop the top bit from moving and you have a great tool for throwing up 8 x 4's from dawn till dusk.[/quote]

Not so good on a sloping roof me thinks...

monti

[quote user="zeb"]Thought I'd spread the good news for those of you who are plasterboarding ceilings. They are available this week at Lidls, dirt cheap and worth their weight in gold, so hurry.

I know....I bought some for my partner 4 years ago when I got fed up of being a human plasterboard prop![/quote]

Zeb, as Lidl offers are usually regional, can you say where you are based?

Just want to know if it's worth driving there! We're in the first stages of an attic conversion...

Sorry, didn't realise that Lidl offers are regional. We are in Charente 16.

They have a website www.lidl.fr so that you can keep track of offers at your local store. But you have to hurry as the goods are only there for a few days until the next promo is there. But things usually come around twice a year.

The plasterboard props we use (from Lidl) are spring loaded on telescopic poles and lighter than a home-made one. They can also cope with sloping walls and ceilings.

Apart from the concrete mixer (!) they have been my best buy since renovating!

J.R. - at what working height can you use the leve-placo thingy? Our ceilings in the barn/sitting room slope up to seven metres. It was too scarey getting plasterboard up there so we used a product which many have used for high ceilings but last time I mentioned it on here I got slated (building regs - probably UK ones....are there French bulding regs on line?) so can't recommend it in public!

The Placo lifting jack which I was leant by local Reseau Pro lifted hapilly to 2.90 metres and had at least 1.5 metres in hand. I would visit a hire shop to check how hoigh they will go. They are on another plannet compared to deadmen. Two handed we put up 40 square metres in under 2 hours. No sweating, No Gordon Ramsey Vocab, No worries about taking off the last millimetre because you have got to take the sheets back down.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="zeb"]They have a website www.lidl.fr so that you can keep track of offers at your local store.[/quote]

Yes I did look there, but without a specific postcode, it's near impossible to see what's on offer where!

I have seen these at our local stores before, but I didn't need them then!

[/quote]

If you subscribe to the internet newsletter then it will tip you off as to the upcoming offers about a week earlier than the 'pub' on the till and show you your nearest branch.

No placo props in either of my local stores (Argenton, (36) and Chateauroux (36)).

paul

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]If you subscribe to the internet newsletter then it will tip you off as to the upcoming offers about a week earlier than the 'pub' on the till and show you your nearest branch. paul[/quote]

Been registered for ages, but you can't see what's on offer elsewhere without typing a postcode in...

I always check the 3 shops in Brive (1¼ hr drive) just in case there's something worth going for when I'm there, but they tend to have the same offers in my local shop!