Kitchen Fittings

KathyC

I've just had the opportunity to buy some really nice kitchen doors on ebay (UK) and I thought I might buy them and put them on bog standard French carcases. The sizes fit with what's available in France but my husband's just suggested that the way the doors attach to the cabinets may be different between the two countries. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this? We could take the UK fittings with us or buy them in France but would hate to lug them all the way over and find we can't use them. Does anybody have any knowledge about this that they could help me with? Thanks.

The centres between the hinges and the distance from the top/bottom of the door may not be the same, this can also be true using UK bought cabinets.

If this is the case you may have to reposition one or both hinges using a 26 or 35mm forstner wood cutting bit, I usually only do this when I cut a door down and lose one hinge pocket, it is usually far easier to reposition and redrill the locating holes in the side of the receiving cabinet.

Editted, if you don't already have the carcasses in France consider using UK ones, the B & Q flat pack ones are usually available off the shelf. I recently did a kitchen in England with B & Q carcasses followed by one in France using Brico-Depot (same group of companies)carcasses. I found the B & Q ones generally to be better quality, cheaper and with a wider range.

Kitchens are one of the few things that are (again generally) cheaper and better in the UK because it is a more mature market, however the prebuilt pre-equipped kitchens from Brico-Depot cannot be beaten for price and the quality is excellent as both the cabinets and doors are 18mm rather than 16mm thick.

Editted again, this was posted at the same time as the last more concise and to the point one

Gosh, what  amazingly quick responses. I'll go ahead and buy them and know that I can make adjustments if necessary.

Thanks everybody.

(Edit)

JR

Just read your post. I could buy the carcases from the same buyer (in fact the same price!) but transportation's the problem. I'm planning to use the doors with carcases from Brico Depot and get a cheap, but expensive looking kitchen. (Well, that's the plan.) Thanks again.

About three years ago, I replaced the hinges on a built-in fridge door for a chum.

His very upmarket solid oak doors French kitchen units and fittings seemed identical to UK types to me. Hinges easily bought from a local Bricomarche branch. Only main difference were the French-style brass effect vertical exterior faux hinges.

One thought: if you are compelled to change hinge positions, try asking a local (UK) kitchen biz if they can help you with plastic blanking plugs. These are available in a variety of colours to match different carcasses and in both usual hole sizes, and both hinge ends where they are different; mainly because most carcasses are pre-drilled for a number of different applications. Just a thought.

hi

I'm  fitter by trade and would firstly be very wary about buying doors without first examining them. Modern kitchen doors warp very easily if not stored correctly (i.e. dead flat). Once warped they can be very difficult to get a proper fit. The problem with hinge holes is easily overcome as has been suggested in previous posts, but even with my experience i don't think i could be bothered to lug all the stuf over here when the available french doors and carcasses are perfectly ok. Its just a case of shopping around to get what you want and far better that than having kitchen units full of holes and blanking plugs .  

Sheldon

Thanks for your comments and the warning. Fortunately I'm going to be able to check the doors before buying and will now be careful to look for warping. I rather agree with you about the carcases but the doors are solid wood, such good quality and such a bargain that I'm going to risk it.