Stair treads

Effie

Two days ago I slipped down our wooden stair case from top to bottom...and although nothing was broken...and I am only badly shaken...and bruised...I am now afraid to use these stairs.So does anyone know where I can buy some stair treads...we live between Bergerac...and Bordeaux.

Many thanks

Effie 

You cab buy shaped carpet treads,that fit from the back of the tread and go over the lip, at most Brico's. If you are a little bit handy, you could buy a strip of carpet ,latex/hessian backed so it doesn't fray, and cut the shapes out yourself and either staple the treads on or use small tacks. Sticking them on makes a more permanent job but obviously won't do the wooden stairs much good if you ever want to remove them.I have seen the treads done with a ribbed rubber mat, safe but not very decorative.

Regards. 5 mins St.Malo.     www.ourinns.com

We had the same problem and finally got a stair carpet fitted, complete with brass rods (which need constant polishing[+o(]).  All our French friends think this is hilariously British and some refuse to believe it was a French company who provided it.

Chrissie (81)

Thank you Chrissie...the stairs are very narrow...from front to back...and I think that carpet plus rods...may be too much...however it's certainly worth considering...though personally...I'd prefer to get some one in to make a new staircase...the one we have is very badly designed...though attractive to the eye. However I'd rather be safe than trying to negotiate a pretty staircase.

Thank you for replying

Effie

We have wooden stairs but I don't find them slippery - do you wash or treat them with anything that would make them slippery? 

Carpets on stairs - never again, hoovering it would kill my back, it's so easy with wood and seeing how much fluff and hair gathers in the corners [+o(]

[quote user="Suze"]We have wooden stairs but I don't find them slippery - do you wash or treat them with anything that would make them slippery? 

Carpets on stairs - never again, hoovering it would kill my back, it's so easy with wood and seeing how much fluff and hair gathers in the corners [+o(]
[/quote]I once rented a gite where the staircase was varnished and it certainly was dangerously slippery - maybe this is the route of the problem?  Certainly ours is not varnished or polished and we don't have any slipping problems either.

Hi Suze...we've only been here for three weeks...and no we don't wash or polish them...but even our surveyor said that they were too steep by English standards...they're a semi spiral too...and I made the big mistake of wearing my socks...and as I came down my feet just went from under me...I hit every step...and landed in a heap on the tiles...at 65 you don't bounce...I was really lucky not to have broken my hip...ribs...or toes...which are all heavily bruised. So better safe than sorry.

Thanks for replying

Effie

Hi there...the stairs are really steep...narrow in the tread...and semie spiralled...a recipe for disaster...even our Siamese cat is cautious when coming down them ...and if he finds them worrying what chance do I have...and I don't have his nine lives...LOL

Thank you for replying

Effie

Hello Dick...sorry to hear of your fall...yes you're perfectly right about socks...silly mistake...won't do it again. LOL

Re your consequences...I immediately took Dr. Bach's Rescue remedy for the shock...and then all night I alternated between the homeopathic remedies Aconite 200...and Arnica 30. My husband bless his heart...rubbed all my sore places with Arnica oil the following two days...and used  Hypercal on my swollen toes...and I also recieved 'healing' from my fellow healers.

I'm happy to say that although I am bruised...I'm certain that without these natural remedies...I would have been still in my bed.

If I can advise you with regard to your old wounds please don't hesitate to ask...I am a trained Aromatherapist...and registered healer...and have been working with the Bach flower remedies...and homeopathic preparations for nearly 25 years now...and if I can't help you...I know a 'man' who can. LOL

Thank you for caring

God Bless you

Effie