Wood burning stove installation

Lynn Kitson

I've just posted a similar question, but for a cheminee from a boiler. No responses either.

Not sure of the answer to your question exactly, but I do know for a woodburner, the flue must be at least 16cm from combustibles (eg wood beams etc in floors and roofs). Not that easy with a new installation, even harder with an existing one.

Warren

With mine (professionally installed) the instructions that came with it gave the required clearances (back and sides), If you do not yet have the stove you could try the manufacturers web site as they may have instruction manuals downloadable (mine did).

Ian

Just looked up our installation instructions: It says: The clearance around the stove to any non-combustible materials should be 75 mm (approx 3") either side, 150 mm (approx 6 ") above and 25 mm (1") from the rear wall. These are the ideal recommended measurements.......

I've just had a check in my wood burner manual (Jotul F-500) and these seem to be 16 different sets of clearances. Things that seem to cause the variability (which is actually quite a lot) include: the type of wall, if the burner has a rear heat shield fitted, type of flue pipe (between burner and chimney), if burner sides are parallel to wall/corner or if burner is installed across corner (45 degrees alignment - badly explained). The required clearances are quite variable depending on the circumstances.

Sorry, this probably confuses rather than helps - but that is what my installation manual says.

Ian

Best to let the supplier install it. Our local Godin supplier, who it seems has sold stoves to half the British people in the area, including several on this forum (thanks Dick Smith for the recommendation) does it at no extra charge - because if you buy just the stove you pay 19.6% TVA but if you go for stove plus installation TVA is 5.5%. So you pay the normal cost of the stove alone and effectively get the installation free, that way everybody is happy, except perhaps the TVA man.

Plus, if you are French income tax payer (or fill in a French income tax return) and the burner is classed as environmentally friendly (some label I cannot remember at the moment) you can get a 50% tax credit on the cost of the wood burner (provided it is installed by a registered/approved/whatever artisan.

Ian

Will,

Any clues on what sort of cost we are talking about ? The only stoves I have been able to source so far have been much more expensive than an equivalent from England which seems strange. Admittedly you may be able to get the rebate, depending on the stove, but you do have to pay for the installation. However if you install it yourself, then the rebate doesn't count and the price of the stoves is then too high. Am I just looking in the wrong places ? Any advice welcome.

Gabe