Cost of creating window and door openings

Just

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the cost of creating window openings in a rubble wall, general size of 90/135 cm with stone surrond.  It's just I've had a quote of 4168 euros per window which I think is outrageous but having no knowledge of such things I'm unsure.  Thanks in advance for any help.

[quote user="Just"]

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the cost of creating window openings in a rubble wall, general size of 90/135 cm with stone surrond.  It's just I've had a quote of 4168 euros per window which I think is outrageous but having no knowledge of such things I'm unsure.  Thanks in advance for any help.

[/quote]

Ouch, that sounds a lot of money, but it really does depend on the location of where you want the windows and the general state of the walls.

It is a difficult job due to the instability of the walls when disturbed and you can easily end up with a very big hole.

Get yourself a few more quotes I think.

Hi.I installed a new window,slightly larger,( although I wouldn't think size makes a great deal of difference,as the work is very similar). It took me about a week,what with 'setting' times, plus,obviously,materials. It was in a 50cm thick stone wall (Creuse region),and was not an easy task for a 1st timer.It is easier to install near the top of the building,as you could take down the wall from the roof,install your lintel,and build back on top.Bear also in mind that a 10 year insurance has to be given on all work to the 'alignment' of the building,and this,apparently,does not come cheap. Make of this info what you will.It sound a fairly large whack to me,but on the other hand,it was a much more time consuming job than I thought,and it would depend on how you want the surrounding wall finished afterwards.

Hi

Sounds expensive to me but not knowing position in building, ease of access, etc it is difficult to compare. We have a devis for formimg two new openings approx 1100 x 900mm in a stone / rubble wall, lintel and surround will be concrete but we will have stone facings to the exterior, fit two wooden windows. When completed window cill will be approx. 2m from the ground. The devis total including scaffolding is 2700 euros. I thought the price was reasonable when you consider how much work is involved in forming the openings but compared to your devis it is remarkably cheap.

Try getting another devis to compare, easy to say but not always an easy task.

Good luck      Paul

Hi,

Ive put a doorway in place of a window in the kitchen, it's very much the same thing as once the window frame was out I was left with the bottom part of the door area to remove, now the thicknes of the area to come out was 2feet and the total floor to top of the door was  approx 6ft. having removed the window I had 3 people look at the job "all I wanted was the rubble removed so the door frame could be but into place, the average estimate was 800euro and it was from 3 to 4 days work.

I did the job myself in a week including the plaster work and that was the hardest due to the going off time of the plaster approx 15min, very hard to get a good smooth finish in this time but I did it in the end.

I was willing to pay the asking price but was let down all three times, hence I did it myself.

Ask you local building supply people they may have a list of tradesmen .

[quote user="Pun"]

Hi,

Ive put a doorway in place of a window in the kitchen, it's very much the same thing as once the window frame was out I was left with the bottom part of the door area to remove,[/quote]

I have to disagree with you there slightly,Pun, if you don't mind.

Removal of a window to create a door is much easier because there is a lintle in situ above the opening and supporting the stonework above.

Creating a hole is harder because you have to support the stone above the opening and that is sometimes impossible. As someone before has said upstairs you can remove all the stone right up to the eaves and then replace after the window and lintle are installed. Ground floor removal is much more hazardous.

The price you were given does sound very high, I would certainly recommend getting a few more quotes.

We are in the process of having windows transformed into doors. For two of them the cost is 1400 euro, however, we are being charged €1200 for a third. We have quite a bit of work and I have not even noticed the price difference for this door until now [:$]. I  am not sure why this particular door would be €1200 versus €700. We also were given a price of €1600 for a creation of a new window on a ground floor wall of which we are not doing.

The walls are 70cm thick made of stone. The prices only include the openings with stone surround, it did not include the doors, window or any fitments of which I need to find a carpenter.

Hi Gary

I know what your saying but, when the window finished I was left with the end of the bricked area and the window ledge had to be removed, once this ledge was taken out i had nothing holding the sides bricks leading up to the lintel at the top of the window frame I'd removed, so for a short while I had no support under the place the window ledge once was, "just space" I did get supporting blocks under a.s.p but it was a bit hairy, but I was working at ground level and not up on the top of the building.

To be honest Im glad that jobs done and hope never again,

to put it in bikers terms, have you ever tried to get the air valve on your tyre back into place once it's decided to go walkies?

[quote user="Pun"]

to put it in bikers terms, have you ever tried to get the air valve on your tyre back into place once it's decided to go walkies?

[/quote]

Been there a few times but now it's only Tubeless for me................................[8-|]

the face stone for this cost 70 euros and it was 7 weeks from ordering it to getting it. it took just under a week to get it finished but it was fun getting the lintall up on my own

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q94/shanfjr/DSCN03860001.jpg[/IMG]

I dont know if my method was correct or not (someone will no doubt tell me) but when making a new doorway through a stone wall I first cut a slot halfway through the 45cm thickness sufficient to insert an rc lintel with sufficient planned over hang, when the motrar had cured I then repeated the process from the other side. Hence I have ended up with a two section lintel and the wall reinstated above them. I now have to cut the verticals, not sure how but No 1 son wants to attack the walls with a styhl(sp) saw. Is this a good idea?, I am not sure. I am happy that the support of the lintels is good. The concrete face is set back from the finished face so that I can face them with oak, OK its cheating perhaps but should be visually acceptable and strong enough.

I have two more doorways to cut, one upstairs, one down stairs. I am seriously considering using a pro stone mason - just in case.

[quote user="Just"]

Hi,

[/quote]

Cannot remember the exact figures but the figure of €800/900 per opening rings a bell PLUS cost of dressed stones.

Suggest that you obtain more devis, if you can, and be prepared for a long wait to get the work done.

John

not