Fire wood / logs for sale in 86 (16/79 border)

mmaddock

"So Chris...with your extensive and expert knowledge of the countryside, would you recommend that DIY chainsaw users follow your example of 'I know best'?  Bearing in mind this is a public forum and you're seen as being 'Mr I know all about the countryside', don't you think you're being just a wee bit irresponsible?"

Actually I can't see where my knowledge or lack of knowledge of the countryside, wildlife or for that matter the law, comes into how I choose to use a chain saw on my own land with only my life at risk, even the dog is kept in the house when I'm doing these things.

What I would recommend is that children are brought up to respect the laws of the land, learn how to respect other people, learn how to live without fear and be multi talented, develop themselves in as balanced a way possible, mentally, physically, emotionally and take responsibility for their own lives and actions without harming or causing offence to others. Oh, and able to discuss matters by sticking to the point and resisting the basic animal urges of sexual competition.

Personally, I don't like safety gear, but I'm as careful as I can be when performing any dangerous activity.

Chris

Edit. In the Vienne a Corde = 3 cu metres, this is the accepted measurement these days and it is where both Matt and I live.

What ever 'floats your boat' regards to safetey (carver man) gets my vote[:P]  we pay, err I pay.[kiss] €40  for seaoned wood, very happy pour moi good burning and heating wood.........plus the additional bonus of  a small 'sniffter' at exchange of €'s

You lot are lucky re. price of wood.

Here in Herault 34, we have found that chene blanc is OK, but chene vert (holm-oak) is better for our purposes - much more dense, heavier, gives a lot more heat, especially when well-seasoned. It is the same price as chene blanc, i.e. (put your seatbelts on!) 70 euros per delivered stere in 50cm (even if buying 4, 5, 6 or 8 steres, still same price. I have tried about 4 or 5 different suppliers, and it's all roughly the same - I thought yeah, we are a captive audience, and asked (since we can see all the hills around us covered in chenes verts) why it is so much more expensive than elsewhere in France - was told that it is because the wood is difficult to access, on those hills! So, we get locally grown wood, but not cheaper!

Do you really mean to say that if you use, say, 10-12 steres of wood per winter (which is what we use for total heating), then your total heating bill is between 12.50 and 30 euros???? Who does the forest belong to? Who do you have to pay such minuscule amount to?

What kind of wood (i.e. what tree) is it? Do you have any other form of heating? Do you have it cut to size, and delivered, and stacked?

It is hard to believe. That's why I am asking for all these details!

[quote user="MargaretD"]I am really pleased with the prices that we pay for wood.  Just checking the details, but we pay 3euros for a stere of hard wood, and 1.25 per stere of soft wood.  There are advantages to living with a forest nearby![/quote]

Shurely shome mishtake!

Chris Head quote."I don't like wearing a seatbelt when driving but I do. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, I think you've demonstrated that Chris. Would you suggest other people don't bother with protective clothing either?"

Let's try and get this straight so that there is no confusion.

You have absolutely no idea about either the level of my knowledge, skill or life experience, so please try not to make ill informed guesses.

I have made no recommendations as to what other people should or shouldn't do, that's their choice in this instance.

I make my own choices as long as they don't involve other people and are legal.

All the best for the New Year.

Chris

You are both right.  It seems to be that in both Indre 36 and Creuse 23, a corde is known as 4m x 1m x 1m to some, and 3m x 1m x 1m to others.  We have only been offered the 3x1x1m corde for sale here; perhaps because we are so close to the borders with 86 and 87 that the more universal 3x1x1m measurements are favoured. 

It is both a good idea to check what you are getting before buying, and check afterwards as well.  If you don't know the supplier well, when the wood is delivered, get the delivery person to stack the wood into a row one metre in height.  There have been news reports where the delivery driver unloads the wood into a heap and then leaves the buyer to stack it.  It is only then that the buyer discovers that they have been 'done'; the amount of wood delivered is considerably less than what was paid for.