Breton decoration

ty ar mor

OK this is where I come in - yes I have seen LanguedocGal's floor tiles... but hope she will be posting a photo so that she can have a real range of opinions and ideas....after all, it may be that those of you who are in Britanny etc... have no idea what we are talking about.

To me, they are just normal Languedoc floor tiles, the kind you see in most flats and buildings built in the 19C in this area. And of course, they are garish, I would not go as far as calling them bright and cheerful, but I must confess that the first time I saw such tiles I was intrigued and could see the attraction.

Of course, I don't have to live with them. But they are probably just right for the flat...

come on LG, let's have a photo now...

As for Dick's kitchen, I was just too depressed to comment. [:)] It makes me feel I live in a squat.... very beautiful Dick and Mrs Dick, I love the subtle blue lighting? This kitchen would NOT be wasted on me, I guarantee, so that puts me in front of LG on the waiting list!

I cannot comment on anything from Britanny - I have lived in many areas in France, but have never been in Britanny (considering it though, given global warming!)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="LanguedocGal2"]

Do you have any precious 60s/70s wallpaper? Mine have disappeared now but they were truly precious.

[/quote]

We have the wallpaper and anything else you can think of such as these horrible red briquette sort of tiles put on an ancient fireplace. Also a fireplace removed in the kitchen and one built from these same red briquettes. Not to mention the aqua and brown bathrooms and wallpapered doors throughout the upstairs. Unfortunately, that is just to mention a few of the things they did [blink].

I am with 5 - Element, I am not familiar with these 19th Century tiles in the Languedoc and would love to see a photo. Are they similar to the English Victorian tiles that are common here in the UK?

I too like Dick's kitchen but love how you achieved the Columbage walls. Unfortunately, can't see how we could possibly do the same but would be interested to learn more. Dick, you mentioned that it was false, I assume you used reclaimed wood. Does it mean you only used the face instead of an entire old beam and just embedded it into the plaster? It looks very authentic to me.

I do love looking at interiors of French homes. Perhaps someone should start a thread in the Photography section on interiors and perhaps before and afters. Sadly, I wouldn't be able to participate yet but hopefully at some stage in my lifetime [:)].

Thanks for all the nice comments, it is a lovely room and works very well, Julie always says she wishes we had one like it in England!

The colombage is just rough-sawn green oak plank, screwed to the wall and the screw holes plugged. The gaps between were then plastered and the wood waxed and polished. The 'back' colombage is genuine, and I think was at one time the outer wall of the house. In the corner between the door and the window I plan a corner cupboard to hide the water pipe which comes in there. The ceiling beams are original, the large beam was put in when the dividing wall was taken out. As you can see the windows are cheapo UPVC double glazed. Kitchen units are MFI...

Radical thought for LG - how about lino/vinyl?

I tend to agree with you Dick, about the lino - actually LG has got that in her kitchen, covering those tiles, AND I was fooled by the lino/vinyl which looks like... very different tiles.

I am still waiting for the photo of LG's tiles, but yes they do look like some Victorian(?) ones I have seen in the UK, similar kind of motifs.

The previous owner of our house had laid lino throughout the ground floor, have lifted a bit and appear to have a wooden floor! I'll have to take the lot up and see what state it is in.

Lovely kitchen Dick, am positively green!!

The ugliest tiles in Europe Saga continues [6]

WJT, I can see you’ve also inherited some divine features in your house too. We have to remember that these were all height of fashion once.  

To be fair to my flat, the overall features are exactly what I love in a building and little essential work was needed (changing a boiler), so I suppose I had to have something I hated, otherwise it would have been too weird.  

The tiles are no way as nice as the lovely glazed ones around the fireplaces in most of the Victorian homes I knew as a child but I suppose it’s the same period so something was going around Europe.  

By the way, don’t listen to 5-E: she was much too kind to them… [:)]

Dick, as 5-E has said, I plonked lino down in my kitchen as those tiles were even worse (yes, really!) and I only spend an average of about 3 hours a month in my kitchen, so wasn’t too bothered. Having said that, it’s amazing how much I have grown to like it after only 3 months.  Furthermore, to my amazement, everyone thinks its real tiles on first seeing it. When I say its lino, they normally bend down to touch it because they don’t believe me. 

I’m tearing my hair out regarding the living room because I want to do something I will really ‘love’ as opposed to just like. Whilst looking for the kitchen lino, I was amazed at what was out  there now in terms of design and comfort.  Initially, it was a choice born out of budget restrictions and a desperation to cover those things but it ended up being a very good move and I would recommend it too.  

Cooperlola, I saw some lino that were really hard to distinguish from real tiles and wood and would look great in any room. Technology in this sector has advanced so much.  However, I’m reluctant to put lino in my living room, but who knows. 

[quote user="Russethouse"]Real lino is very fashionable now [:)][/quote]

I love lino.

Somewhere I have a scap of 1950's lino, and when I bump the OH off and become rich beyond my wildest dreams, I will have it copied, by craftsmen.

No!  I will seek out the only women lino experts in the world,  and give the ill gotten dough to them, for the copy. Can't say fairer than that, can I?[:P]

OK! Bulllied into this by 5-E

The HORROR Languedoc tiles. One only has to see them to understand my reaction. 

The living room one I'm seeking solutions for.

[IMG]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o78/LanguedocGal/HorrortilesA.jpg[/IMG] 

In another part of the flat. This one will be covered but not too bothered how.

[IMG]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o78/LanguedocGal/Horrortiles2a.jpg[/IMG]

The ones I love.

[IMG]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o78/LanguedocGal/lovethesetiles1.jpg[/IMG]

I would deffo' go for the lino/vinyl option; I'm sure you'd find one which would do an excellent impression of the one you like.  If you ever come to sell, somebody else may be wowed by the original feature tiles and IMHO it would be a pity to destroy them.

Not quite what you like, but a start:

http://www.mondialmoquette.fr/catalogue-produit/Vinyles-f-2.htm

LG, I agree about the third, I love them. However, I do like the others as well if they were toned down. I guess unlike others because they are original, I would hate to loose them. But the difference in many Victorian homes in the UK is that they were used in small areas and entrance halls etc.. probably because it would have been too expensive to do otherwise. So I do take your point in so much as having them cover large living areas and perhaps could do your head in. I can also imagine how difficult it would be to furnish the room with the bright busy patterns on the floor.

What I would be inclined to do and I don't know if such a thing is available. But perhaps try some sort of dark glaze that is used on terra Cotta to put a deep rich colour on them. To tone down the colours and just have the pattern slightly show through. This way it would appear to have one solid colour, in fact it could make them appear older and even more authentic. If I have time later I may have a search to see if I can find any examples that show what I am suggesting. In any case, you have to do what makes you happy.

Well done 5-Elements for talking her into it. Thanks for sharing LG [:D].

I could live with the hated tiles... and I'm glad I don't have to... but they would certainly define how the rooms were decorated, the colours, furniture etc. Not ideal. They are "encaustic" tiles, aren't they? If so, modern tiles are somewhere in the region of €90 per sq metre.[:-))]

http://www.mosaicdelsur.com/en/index.htm

There's a rather good design simulator on the site. In LG's case... design a pattern you hate even more and then those you've got won't seem so bad! [6]

I would like them if they were in an entrance hall.  Definitely not in a large room, though - they would make me dizzy!  I would not rip them up - someone else might like them.  I like the vinyl solution - it makes the floor feel a lot warmer and it's easier on the feet.

[quote user="Will "]I have never understood the philosophy that says 'if it's old it must be good'. [/quote]

Yes. Agree completely. Some things weren't fit for their purpose 100 years ago so one has to question their value now. Unfortunately LG's tiles are a bit different as they've obviously stood the test of time and their only (tho' fairly major) fault is that they're easy to hate.

[quote user="catalpa"][quote user="Will "]I have never understood the philosophy that says 'if it's old it must be good'. [/quote]

Yes. Agree completely. Some things weren't fit for their purpose 100 years ago so one has to question their value now. Unfortunately LG's tiles are a bit different as they've obviously stood the test of time and their only (tho' fairly major) fault is that they're easy to hate.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more!

Thanks all for your comments, advice and links (the mosaic site made me feel slightly queasy [:)])

I must say, though, that I now have slight worries about the tastes of a few LF forumers and YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE [;-)][:D]. 

Good advice all-round.

RH, original features, I have aplenty (ceiling roses, fireplaces, internal shutters etc etc all  in excellent condition). I love them all except for these tiles.  Also, I appreciate the fact that previous owners didn’t destroy the features (except ripping out 2 out of 6 fireplaces- but you can’t win them all). I totally agree though that old doesn’t necessarily mean nice.

WJT,  I don’t know the method you mentioned but I will research it as it sounds interesting.

Since the lino idea has come up here, I have to say that it’s starting to appeal to me more and more.  I dismissed it last year, I suppose because of my own prejudices about lino but only realised later how this sector had progressed.

Life can be so much simpler if we let go of our preconceived ideas.  Hope you’ve not been blinded by the photos. 

I will consider all the proposals and things are a lot clearer in my head now so many many thanks to all.

I couldn't get into Catalpa's link for some reason but found this link. You could as I said before put a rich dark colour glaze over or perhaps some sort of white glaze to make them lighter like some of these that I think are beautiful if you had some lovely rugs. I guess it would be a similar concept to white washing walls or furniture and could tone down patterns as well. If you look at the fourth one from the top it is not too dissimilar to yours just a little more subtle but would still be tempted to tone that one down more as well. Just an idea [:)].

http://www.londonmosaicrestoration.co.uk/gallery.php?id=40

Edit: LG, posted at the same time. Sounds as if you have a beautiful place. I am sure what ever you decide the end result will be lovely [:)].

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Glad it helped LDG2. You can't expect every member on this forum to share your good taste, now can you?[:D]

[/quote]

It  would be difficult![;-)]

Re Catalpa’s link, try this Wjt. They are modern versions of these Languedoc type tiles.
http://www.mosaicdelsur.com

The London Mosaic tiles are of the period. I have been told they are worth silly money – per tile. I notice that the London Mosaic site doesn’t even state the per tile prices.

Probably too scary...