AGA Cookers

Nicos

Hello, new to this site, but we are thinking of installing an Aga type

cooker. It seems that oil fire Aga's are not available in France so

maybe we should be looking at importing one - however does the absence

of oil / kerosene / diesel  fired Aga's in France mean that you

shouldn't actually be importing  or intalling one of this type?

Any information anyone has on this and installation of these cookeres

etc would be most welcome.

Look at www.tradcookers.com. That site gives chapter and verse on Agas and Rayburns from an independent rather than factory perspective, and Barry, the chap behind the site, does a lot of work in France so knows as well as anybody about French oil and what is and is not possible with each model.

Edit - just checked the site to make sure it was still there and I see that Barry has successfully got an Aga to run on biodiesel, so what you want should be perfectly possible.

Agas are lovely to look at and cook superbly well...but....expensive to buy and use and twice a year you have to employ a skilled artisan to service it. We had many problems during the years with one thing or another. Also bear in mind they throw out a lot of heat..I personally would not have one here in the Poitou Charentes as it would only be used probably November to March and I would not want it on now...we have had to turn the central heating off because of the mild temps.

Another thing..you can never smell the cooking...Turkey at Christmas, fresh bread...you have to go out into the garden to smell! many a time I left the rice pudding in overnight.....woke up to a black baked dish!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't comment on oil fired Agas but you are right than they don't sell them in France.  The best bet would be to go to a local Aga supplier and chat to them about your needs.  Aga France has a good website with all the local suppliers.  Gas fired Agas are the cheapest to run, but if you are not on mains gas then bottled is expensive.  The other option is an electric Aga.  We bought an electric run Aga last year as we are not on mains gas and it has been brilliant for us in Brittany. I would not do without it. I think, from memory, that it can be converted in future to oil but I am not positive.  Aga are very good at answering queries of this kind.

On another note our Aga has been a magnet for all tradepeople coming through the house.  The man who installed our woodburning stove couldn't keep his eyes off it and I had to show how it worked, was constructed etc,