pool of skills

cowoman

Wouldnt it be a great idea if everyone in an area could get together via this site and pool their skills.I think every one has a skill that they could work on doing other peoples houses.If you collected points for how many hours work you did then someone else could work on yours.There would be no money exchanged.I think this would work....or not.What do you reckon am I just in fantasy land????

A good idea but  I fear impossible to operate. I was once involved in a scheme where tradesmen were supposedly sharing time and skills on a joint venture but found out after a very short time that what I considered a days work didn't include the pub/mobile phone/sit down and chat breaks that some considered the norm. Also some trades are much higher paid than others and require many years of training/work experience and sometimes expense.Very difficult to get an even balance.

Regards.

Any good artisan here in France would just not have the time to do "free" work as we all have to work hard enough as it is to pay our social charges which do not exist the same in the UK. This sort of system is also very frowned upon by the french impôts.

My husband and his mates work soley on favours and it is great when he calls them all in.  They dont use vouchers and nobody counts but it is just the way it has always been and works well.  I was going to list them all for you but decided not to because it makes him look like a dodgy geezer[:$]

A reasonably good idea no doubt and probably already in operation in many places in a microcosmic way.

I think this is the only way something like this can really work though because as soon as you attribute an intrinsic value to an individuals skills and abilities you begin to run into the p**s takers and problems of real and percieved worth.

Neighbours or mates just helping each other out generally works reasonably well enough and slackers and p**s takers soon get found out.

[quote user="cowoman"]Well i will have to draw up a list then of who my husband can make "friends" with.I wonder who would be top of the list?Do builders have more "friends" than grass cutters?[/quote]

[:D]

They certainly do.  But all the builders want to be friends with Construction Project Managers.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Thoughts anyone ?

[/quote]

A couple;

This has been tried before (a few years ago in the Charante? or somewhere down south).

And, as Val says, it is difficult to see how the Impots will be able to accept it (there are specific regs for skills swaps - each worker must declare the value of the work and the "employer" must pay appropriate charges, IIRC). And they must be insured.

done something similar here in Riberac, done a few hours work on friends gite and they repayed me pro rata in French lessons. Worked out fantastic for us both, we both got what we wanted and did not pay one cent either way. Perhaps that is the way forward, keep it small, work out an hourly rate for your work and the same for the other person and and equate the hours/cost !!