Devis and Budgets

helene

We have now received all our Devis, all the artisans have had detailed plans and are covering all the work we need. What are peoples experiences with a complete renovation for contingency costs? The devis have pretty much eaten into our contingency budgets so keen to hear from people on their own experiences e.g. whether they ended up being X over or slap on budget.

Our building work cost what it said on the tin, for what we had asked for.  However, there were a few jobs which we stupidly missed, through ignorance on our part.  For one example, we had 3 lucarnes but had completely failed to realise that the actual windows weren't included!  The builders were fine (if late, but that's standard) and didn't invent stuff as they went along.  But just do a check list on all the devis to make sure you didn't forget anything as fundamental as we did![:-))]

Seems to me that most will go over budget to some degree,unless you are made of very stern stuff or as Gluestick says you forget something!

Our original budget has nearly doubled as the design has evolved from our original ideas.This is partly due to us,our friends and ideas from the builders/architect.I strongly suspect that the finished product will not be worth what it cost if placed on the open market,but it will be to our taste/requirements as a permanent home.

You have to make a rational decision when starting out as to what you want to achieve in relation to my last statement.

Best of luck whatever you do anyway.

Johnnyboy.