Beware! Ask questions and make sure you see things working!

We purchased our property through an English estate agent, they were brilliant at answering our many queries, the former owner (French) has been very helpful in explaining how things work, (central heating, well pump etc) and both are well on the way to becoming good friends! Were we just lucky?[8-)] Oh,  and the Notaire spoke excellent English and insisted on translating absolutely everything for us, whether we needed it or not![:)]

I will admit, that when we bought our house I was very suspicious of anything and everything (we had a bad experience with a 'vendor' and agent previously).

Unlike in the UK there is not a questionnaire detailing everything that will be left so, I will admit I was a little concerned whether things that had been agreed would be left were.

A few days before the signing of the Acte I informed the agent that I wished to inspect the property on the day. I was informed that she had appointments and the only way would be for a couple of minutes prior to the signing OR the vendors (English) would be there the day before and we could go in the afternoon.

When we arrived, the couple were hard at work cleaning the property. We were given a tour, and it was esplained how things worked. In addition, there were frequent 'we will leave you this' statements.

The following day, at the signing (we had opted to use our own Notaire who spoke English) we were very relaxed and looking forward to taking on the house. If we had not visited then there would have been certain thoughts in our minds (or at least mine) and it would have only been once the signing had taken place that we would have found that there was no cause for concern.

In addition, it was the first time we had met the vendors when we visited and, I do not know why, but it was good to be able to put a face to them.

Perhaps as well, forums such as this can be a problem because many people post their problems and it is far fewer occassions in which people post of good experiences.

Paul

As an addition, the agent probably found me a pain - I had become very untrusting. Some of the agents we came across tried very hard to find us the house we wanted whilst others would show us anything they had even if it was not remotely like what we were looking for. The strange part is that the house we bought sold itself on 'location, location, location' with the house etc not exactly ticking all the boxes.

[quote user="P"]Some of the agents we came across tried very hard to find us the house we wanted whilst others would show us anything they had even if it was not remotely like what we were looking for. The strange part is that the house we bought sold itself on 'location, location, location' with the house etc not exactly ticking all the boxes.[/quote]I know what you mean but looking at it from their point of view they probably have lots of experience of people such as you by your own admission (and indeed us) who ended up buying something entirely different from the initial brief !

We were very fortunate both in having a good English agent and also buying from a French lady who couldn't do enough to be helpful.

We had agreed to privately purchase some household items from her and made an appointment to visit the house, along with the agent, a couple of hours before we were due to sign to inspect and pay for these and everything was exactly as expected, in fact she even left us a double bed and one or 2 other things we hadn't asked for.

There's good and bad everywhere, you hear tales of buyers in the UK entering their new house only to find things like the light fittings and wall sockets have been taken, or sometimes worse.

As you rightly point out, it tends to be the bad experiences which hit the headlines (and the forums) so you can lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of deals probably go through with very few significant problems.

We sold our first house here to a dutch couple and they asked to visit the morning before we all signed. We were happy for them to come though husband was busy at the new house. They brought two estate agents with them, and spent nearly two hours checking every light switch, tap, electric point, door locks, cupboards etc. Very sensible but there wasn't much I could have done if there had been faults. The only thing they asked for at the meeting in the afternoon was that we remove the bonfire pile, which husband refused as by that time we were so kn------d and just wanted to go "home". I suppose if there had been real problems they might have asked for a price reduction. Could this be done at that late stage? Pat.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[

There's good and bad everywhere, you hear tales of buyers in the UK entering their new house only to find things like the light fittings and wall sockets have been taken, or sometimes worse.

[/quote]

Laugh, they took the bath and sink plugs out of our house - very strange and most annoying.  It meant a trip to the local Brico, and I was amazed at the range of sink plugs available, all different sizes.  It must be a common French thing ?

But they left a dish washer umm, why did they do that ?  I soon found out, it was plumbed in with one of those dodgy clamp / pierce the water pipe things, evil they are, as soon as I tried to unscrew the pipe from the dishwasher, the tap fell off and we had water everywhere !  The joys of buying a run down property.  [:'(]

[quote user="moya"]

I would say that unless you are fluent in French and have an idea as to how the purchasing of property works out there, please find a trusworthy agent to work on your behalf and then you are far less likely to fall prey to the likes of the Dodgy Dutchman and his ilk.

[/quote]

But surely it's not the role of the agent to "work on your behalf"? I'd be most unhappy if I was selling a property (in any country) and found that my agent put the purchaser's interests first!

The person paying the bill can expect the agent to put his interests first. But it is nonetheless in the interests of both parties for the agent to provide a professional and helpful service. French agents will tell you that they are acting for the purchaser as well as the vendor.

And in France it is a little different in that vendors often don't see themselves as paying the agent. They agree a price they want to achieve (i.e. what they will actually receive from the deal) and let the agent put his fee on top which is effectively paid by the purchaser. In practice, it's not as clear cut as that, of course, due to the effect of price negotiation.

I am very sorry but I can not agree with you.......as much as I really and truely want to be living in France...and really soon...estate agents...can and often  be rogues and they will tell you anything to get a compromis signed!

It is about once bitten be extreemly careful.I certainly can tell a story about our first purchase in Charente.......where...perhaps the English...at that point in time did not seem very welcome.We had a crazy situation with our seller...not a very nice lady, estate agent certainly no better and notaire part of the same family metaphoricaly speaking.Having said that we were not welcome we made friends with most of the neighbours and enjoyed each others company as we learnt to speak some French.Good food is a univeral language.When you are purchasing property you have to be firm and stand-up for yourself......it is not a game and it is n ot easy.There are agents who are not very happy about dealing with me because I will not go all the way to France to view a property having seen  just vague two pictures and a brief descript...not knowing what surrounds the house...size of rooms and wether it is located in a convenient spot for me.Moving countries is a big step and, of course is very costly so there will be many questions.The agents are so vaguue most of the time it is bazaar.

Does anybody have the true story of  Estate agents, the ethics,qualifications and the British versions, the associations etc.........I have a very good idiea of the difference between the    English brokers and the French Estate agents but I need a clelarer and complete picture.

I do believe that if you are proposing to earn leats say 50.000 euros on a 700.000 euro property there should be a great deal of knowlledge /info to offer about the property...the location and everything related ......

However false information is not on.

As I have mentioned...It is not the case of looking and checking it is about  a little dirty dancing and a preferance factor....that the French agent is more interested in the well being of his French vendor...and the agent is rather more attracted to the 7 percent than a healthy friendship with the purchaser.Eyes open and looking in all diirections everything can be wonderful.I know all this from experience.However Estate agents are the same ALL over the world.I am going to sell houses probably ...because  I love the work...searching...matching and seeing people happy...helping them to achieve happiness.

Got my first property for sale .

[quote user="Dee"]A pitch for buisness Mr Zoff.....what buisbess am I pitching for.I am merely being open  and speaking my mind.

[/quote]

If you re-read what you wrote in your previous post, viz:

[quote user="Dee"]

I am going to sell houses probably ...because  I love the

work...searching...matching and seeing people happy...helping them to

achieve happiness.

Got my first property for sale .

[/quote]

... you might see that one could interpret the post as indicating that you had a business interest in the subject of the post - which hadn't previously been declared - and that therefore the opinions expressed in your posts might have been coloured by being more to do with business promotion than the offering of disinterested help or advice. I think that's what Zoff is getting at. Of course, you may not have intended to give that impression, but that's how misunderstandings arise.

Pickles

[quote user="Dee"]
Does anybody have the true story of  Estate agents, the ethics,qualifications and the British versions, the associations etc.........I have a very good idiea of the difference between the    English brokers and the French Estate agents but I need a clelarer and complete picture.
[/quote]

And you are hoping to sell houses??????????

Despite my flippant comment at the end of my previous post, I don't believe for a minute that all agents are the same. Just as there are good and bad lawyers, varying qualities of notaire, excellent builders, rogue traders, etc.

A good agent will do a good job for all parties.

I and countless others have been grateful for the services provided by the agent to make sure that the transaction proceeded smoothly and to assist with all sorts of matters (sometimes with little or nothing to do with the property) long after the transaction was completed. That way he gets a good reputation, both vendors and purchasers come back when they have further property to sell, and they recommend him to others. It's called good business, and some French agents practice it, just as do some English agents. (I have reason to deal with a number of estate agents in the UK, a few in whom I have great confidence and some I would not by choice touch with the proverbial barge-pole, either way based on experience and reasoned judgement rather than naivety or blanket condemnation.)

So, as many on this thread have indicated, it is a case of proceed with caution. Extra caution because you are dealing with an unfamiliar, foreign regime. But if you treat every agent as if he is an outright crook, without giving him the opportunity to prove otherwise, you may be alienating people who could be of great help. An honest agent won't mind answering difficult questions and will prove his worth by doing so, but an honest agent will also feel entitled to be treated with respect.

When I  purchase my property in France I will be operating  a bed and breakfast operation...with cookery tutorial.I will not attempt...or even exspect to find clients  amongst readers of this forum.

My interest in French property and the exploration of the  beauty and variation of these properties  has led me to the idea that I might be good at selling them:but  I do not have the heart or the intentions of becoming a rogue!Whatever I do... I do it properly.Once again this forum is not the place where I will find clients.I have been in buisness for some years and have lots of ideas.I am allways interested to learn about the thoughts of others.That is....is it not what this forum is about?To help other people and to placate friendship.That is.....exactly why I am writing here.

I am sorry if I misinterpreted your initial posts.

A forum is a place to exchange information and views. You seemed to be making some quite sweeping statements to which I and others have responded. 

One of the limitations of an internet forum is that respondents have only the written posts to go by. There is not the luxury of seeing and speaking to other contributors to obtain a more complete, and perhaps more accurate, picture at the outset.

Good luck with your ventures.

[quote user="Dee"]

My interest in French property and the exploration of the  beauty and variation of these properties  has led me to the idea that I might be good at selling them:but  I do not have the heart or the intentions of becoming a rogue!

[/quote]

Why do you seem to have the idea that the concepts of being an estate agent, and being honest and straightforward, are mutually exclusive? There are plenty of honest and decent agents. In fact I would say the majority are honest, in both France and England.

Can I explain..I try to do a good job...as bestas I can....and it is certainly not all about  money....In London I could have opened a fast food restaurant and made a fourtune but I pprefered the pleasure of producing really good food and a fun atmosphere ..I worked harder but I got pleasure I like working.

Of course...what you read is what you get......but many people seem to find something which does not exsist.I am exspresive and wish that others were the same...the world would be even more enjoyable.I live in London where there are people and activities everywhere ...very difficult to become bored but many people are lonely.

I am afraid that many people see/imagine that Estate agents are rougish.I am mearley explaining that my intentions of selling properties would involve having fun and helping people at the same time.Books enter your lives and fill your world with inspiration.Being open and informative works the same way.

I have seen good and bad immos.   T

The Dodgy Dutchman - a fine example of BAD, in fact I was told a few days ago he has evolved into a full-time Dodgy Builder now he has sold his immobilier.

The Agent who found our house for us has been wonderful, a total contrast to the Dodgy Dutchman.  She has become a good friend who has helped us enormously with our renovations.

Yes indeed, there are ARE good and bad people everywhere so you just have to be a little careful with whom you lay your trust.