Plastering in November

Aitch

[8-)]I am hoping to have walls of the last and main room of our house plastered at the end of November. The plasterer is waiting for his delivery of  UK type plaster (sorry can't think of the name as I type) so it will be "English" plastered, as opposed to the french stuff. I am concerned that as I won't be there and there will be no heating on, unless he lights the woodburner, will the plaster dry out properly, as our next visit will not be until April? Or should we defer the job until that time when we are out? I don't think there will be too much of a problem but the OH thinks otherwise. Any thoughts or help much appreciated.

Aitch

Just a guess but I reckon that they might be using an English "Spread" who probably prefers English beer as well[:)]

Probably not too much of a problem regarding freezing and cracking but the residual moisture might cause some fungal problems, could you leave some windows open behind the volets for ventilation? If volet roulants dont let them drop fully to leave the air gaps open

Actually, it is a very good time to plaster because it will dry more slowly during the colder months and therefore you will end up with less chance of cracking providing the temperatures do not fall below 2deg. cel. within 24 hours of applying. 

Also, it is best advice to provide some passive or natural ventilation into the room to allow the moisture to escape.  Trapped moisture in the room will cause condensation mould and, should temperatures fall below freezing point, this would cause the walls to crack.

[quote user="J.R."]

You are very knowledgeable Katie

Have you worked as a spread?

[/quote]

Good grief no.  I think this trade is the most physically demanding of all in the construction industry and, I really dont think any normal woman is capable of it. 

Leo, I will slap you in a minute boyo![:@][:D]

I agree - in France use French plaster, in UK use

English plaster. French have managed fine for years with their

plaster as have the Brits so of course use local plaster

Your plasterer should be able to get plaster from

the builders merchant - like plasters everywhere do and I cannot see

the problem. Sounds like he is just making daft excuses for starting

late.

Ian