double ovens

Rivington

We are revamping our kitchen and as I have a chronic back problem I am unable to deal with an under worktop oven. I also miss having a grill in the top oven as I have in England ( we are moving to France permanently next year and want to get this sorted first) I have searched the shops and the internet and realise that whilst single ovens are available everywhere, double ovens are as rare as hen's teeth in France! Sad [:(] My question is - would the wiring etc be very different if we brought one out from England or do people think a good electrician will be able to sort it out?

Carole  (Essex and Limousin - but not for long!)Big Smile [:D]

The reason they aren't popular is that the average French electricity supply can't cope with the potential load. So unless you already have an above average supply keep a torch / candles handy for regular visits to the fusebox when the electricity trips. If that's not acceptable budget for additional standing charge or a clever delestage fitted to the distribution panel.

Actual fitting of the oven is exactly the same as a single oven, though if its existing wiring you may need to have it re-cabled in heavier duty cable.

Rivington - off at a slight tangent but it may help.

We have, and can only have 6kw, so have to use power sparingly at times. As a second oven we have an all-singing, all-dancing microwave which is also a grill and a "normal" oven. Capacity is not huge but it is adequate for us 2 and Di often uses it instead of the big 'un. Plus of course it sits on the worktop.

John

not

I remember searching the internet 3 years ago - and although as you say not as common as in UK there is still penty of choice for double ovens

Happily found a  De Dietrich double oven with grills in both but there are many other makes out there and easier than shipping one over

Easily wired in, much as UK with own cable from consumer unit. Good hunting!

No reason why you can't go with gas, if electricity supply is a problem!

OK, an oven does consume more, but then two large bottles manifolded takes care of that: and one doesn't use an over every day of the week, normally.

Last time I looked seriously, there were even dual-fuel offerings: as there are now with grills/hobs/ovens.

Thanks for your reply Nickel, did you actually buy the DeDietrich oven? I have seen it on the internet and it does seem to be the most reasonably priced, but haven't heard of them before- (the only other one I found was a Neff at over 1300€ which was the other reason we were thinking of buying it in the uk! )  we should be alright power wise as we augmented our supply a couple of years ago and have a15kw supply which runs radiators as well.

Carole

Its  six years ago now so I can't remember the firm but we found a reasonably priced Neff double oven on the internet and took the info to a local shop. He was not only able to supply us with the oven but matched the internet price.

In retrospect with the number of thunderstorms causing powercu just after I've started cooking, I think we should have gone for gas.

When we finally depart these shores, we are taking over our nearly new and totally splendid Neff double oven (electricity) which I will install in the utility room as a sort of overspill! We like cooking, both of us and tend to do quite a bit!

Probably with our nearly new Pansonic combination microwave, which is also a grill, conventional oven and all sorts of stuff I have never bothered to work out (!!) and with the new large range I am installing (gas), that's overkill! Knowing me, I shall probably take over the equally splendid Neff gas hob too!

Not actually worth much these days unless someone really wants it badly!

People tend to junk your kitchen, anyway in this mad throw away society and the oven and hob will last for years yet.

Thanks Helen, we had been wondering if the local electical shop could do that, or even our wonderful local electrician, whose greatest joy is to complain about the work of all other electricians who have, over the years, done work on our house! [:)]

I have taken on board comments made by people about maybe going for gas due to the regular power cuts we have in the Limousin - we are near Crozant - we had a four hour cut one evening in August! luckily the woodburner in the kitchen has a small hotplate so we were at least able to boil a pan of water for a cup of coffee.[:D] so thanks everyone, some useful ideas and advice for which I am very grateful.

Carole

I think I've got the hang of the smiley things now - famous last words!  [:P]