Paying for work

Nicos

We have been asked to pay for some work done for us by a Cheque d'Eployee ( sp????)

Our house is a maison secondaire.

Can someone please explain a couple of things??

We only have a 'normal' French chequebook,so I presume we need to ask for a different book? If so- do we need to take any documents to the bank when ordering  it , or is it as simple as sending an email requesting one?? ( don't want to get to France and find we don't have an important document with us!)

The work was quoted at 13E per hour...what would we be paying per hour when we write the cheque?? (I believe we have to pay tax and ??insurance on top of the 13E??)

Thanks[:)]

Thanks Claire...I've managed to have a quick look through!

Is anyone able to give me a quick , rough idea, (whilst I do the reading up) a quick answer to my questions such as yes...no....20E... just to give me a rough idea where I'm heading at the moment????[:-))]

Nicos as I undertand it, you register for Cd'E and you pay the worker with a special cheque, when the relevant bodies receive the cheque from the employee, they then take the correct cotisations (pension, health, unemployment and holiday payments) direct from your account after the cheque has cleared. According to our accountant this morning, it is close to 70% on top of what you have already paid. So on €13 you will have another €9.10 deducted from your account, making a grand total of €22.10. Hope that helps

You go to your French bank and ask for the cheque démploi.

You complete a form and about a week to ten days later you will get a letter thro telling you that your cheque book is ready to pick up at your bank

You write out the cheque in the normal fashion and then complete a declaration also found in the cheque book  and send that off to centre national du cheque emploi.Money will be deducted from your bank account,if you have opted to pay by standing order .

You will not be able to get any tax credit as you are not tax resident in France

"You will not be able to get any tax credit as you are not tax resident in France"

However, if you have a property such as a maison secondaire that you rent out when you are not there you should be declaring the income to both U.K. and French tax authorities so presumably you would get tax credits.

Ha!  ...Well we'll soon find out if his quoted price includes the tax!!!! ( doubt it though!)

Our new neighbour had already told us that he is charged 13E per hour , so I don't think we are being fleeced.

So far he's been a quiet, hard working, reliable and skilled workman which I understand can be hard to find.

Thanks for all your advice- wish I'd sorted out the cheque d'E earlier now..... ( everyone else has taken an ordinary cheque)