oiling worktops

Yvonne

Has anyone experience of oiling the blockwood type worktops?

I am in the process of sanding and oiling our new worktops with linseed oil. The bottle advises diluting the oil with 30% white spirit and then adding a 'siccatif' to speed up drying.

What is a 'siccatif'?? How long should the oil mix take to dry? Do I remove excess? How many coats are considered sufficient for new worktops to be usable / watertight??

Thanks for any advise.

Abi [:)] 

I can't remember if Linseed oil is "safe" to use on wooden worksurfaces used for food. I seem to remember we used an oil specifically for the job, which we purchased from Ikea, which was deemed safe for food prep surfaces.

http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/50070378

It is quite cheap, but you may not have an Ikea near you.

Sorry am unable to help with siccatif.

hi ok

linseed oil is safe to use for food use , but mix it with pure turpentine (not the subs stuff )and not white spirit ,siccatif is just a hardener/ rapid dryer you can get it from the local brico`s , mr bricolage does it , but make sure you get the lead free one for food use i.e. sans plomb

Dave

There are lots of different methods and products available...Danish, finishing; hard wax & tung oils are all OK. You get out what you put into the wood...certainly three coats minimum, first coat thinned for penetration & key for following coats, then subsequent coats applied as per wot it says on the tin! Last coat can be gently 'cut back' with fine wire wool. I presume the surfaces aren't to be used for direct food prep?

[quote user="Bobbykins"]Hi, the proper thing to use is Danish Oil, wipe it all over and leave to soak in for a while then wipe of with a soft dry cloth and then repeat about 2 weeks later and then redo about once a year. Bob.[/quote]

That's what we did but we did about six or so coats (probably overkill but then you haven't seen how far my lads can splash water LOL)

[quote user="Bobbykins"]Hi, the proper thing to use is Danish Oil, wipe it all over and leave to soak in for a while then wipe of with a soft dry cloth and then repeat about 2 weeks later and then redo about once a year. Bob.[/quote]

Yes OK but can you let me have a source for danish oil in Dordogne?

The Huile plan de travail goes on the same, has the same effect and smells right.

We bought ours from UK but found this supplier on e-bay that ships to France....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rustins-Danish-Oil---500ml_W0QQitemZ300173842929QQcmdZViewItem

Linseed oil on its own didn't work for us - any water on the surface and we were left with horrible marks.  I think Danish oil is a mixture of linseed and tung oil and (I think) the tung oil gives the water / alcohol proof properties - like a shellac finish.  I think some people recommend linseed oil followed by coats of tung oil to get the same effect - but I'm no expert on this.  Danish oil certainly did the trick for us.