Crepi

newbiee

On the same subject,our house is very very rough coated in crepi,and is vitually impossible to re paint with either crepi rollers,brush and have even tried a spray gun-cost more in paint than a re rendering job.Anyone any ideas on smoothing over the surface with tyrollean finish or other material.The idea of hacking off the render and repointing rustic style is out due to previous blocked opennings in a different material from the original.Advice much apreciated.   Maude

Well Newbeei I can only relate from a house that we tried buying and had surveyed.

The inside had crepi which to my mind was similar to Tyrolean but sharper - if you had fallen against an inside wall you would have done yourself a lot of damage.

The surveyor said that you either hack it off with great difficulty of you render it smooth.

Paul

IMO crepi is a devil material whose sole purpose in life is to sap the will to live from the person trying to apply it.

However, I am told that it is more like a plaster than a paint although some do use it as a type of textured paint to give raised or patterned finishes both inside and out.

Outside it's ok but IMO it is not suitable for inteiors as it's too rough & not very attractive even when done well.

It is a textured finish and can be used both inside and outside (there are 2 types).

It is applied with a trowel (its a bit like plaster with sand in!) then finished with a roller which can have various patterns, so that the pattern appears on the crepi.

I have used it on the ceiling in my kitchen to cover the gaps and 'imperfections' [:$] of the plasterboard.

It is tremendously difficult to remove from surfaces - hence my use only on the plasterboard [:'(] ceiling !

You may get an idea of the surface (done with an ordinary paint roller) from this picture

[IMG]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/alexhudghton/cramauxjuly2007038.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="newbiee"]

I've used it externally - do I need to paint over it?  or is it a finished surface in itself?

[/quote]

If it is good quality exterior crepi there is no need to paint. Normally the crepi is coloured anyway.

Danny

PS I'm not a builder or a decorator

Hi, I know you've had some replies to your question but I'd just like to add a bit more.

It's easy to be confused by crepi because the term is used for two entirely different products. In the supermarkets and DIY stores you will see 5 & 10 litre buckets of "crepi"  which has the appearance of very thick emulsion and which you can spread, brush or roller on your walls and create a textured finish (a bit like artex).

The other product is a mixture of chaux (lime) and sand and this is used as a form of roughcast render which is generally thrown onto the walls from a trowel. the type of finish you end up with depends on the chaux (de paviers or blanche) and the coarseness of the sand. A nice smooth finish needs the sand to be sieved through a fine riddle. Also, when using chaux blanche for  your exterior work the colour of the finished job depends on the colour of sand that you use. The same materials are used for building with stone or block instead of using cement.

Hope this hasn't added to your confusion.

Regards, John