Sand blasters

brit

[quote user="brit"]Does anybody know about hiring a sandblaster in the vienne area to clean up some old beams or any info welcomed
[/quote]

IMHO if there is a lot of soft wood on the outside of the beams, sandblasting is not the best solution - I made this expensive, messy and time-consuming mistake. For sandblasting to work effectively, the surface needs to be hard (so, for example, if you are removing paint from solid beams, it should be OK). Our beams had a lot of soft wood on the outside, which only came off with wire brushing / sanding.

Warren

I along with my son sand blasted the beams and walls in 10 rooms it took a week of hard work.

Sand blasting machines are very prone to blockage with even slightly damp sand - plus you must buy the right sand.

We hired the largest compressor available and the biggest sand blasting machine. We found it was best not to overfill the sand hopper - and I constantly shook the sand reservoir which helped stop blockages.

It was the summer and the headgear you are given was unbearable so we adapted a Shoei crash helmet which made life easier.

Overall not as much fun as hiring a mini digger.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

We got a man in to sandblast our granite fireplace, did a great job but OMG what a mess, three inches of sand on the floor and a layer of sand everywhere..........and i mean everywhere.We were eating it for days.

Filthy horrible job but well worth it in the end. The fireplace looks fab now.