Varnishing Shutters/ Help!

Monika

The man who has installed our shutters has vanished before finishing the job, he installed them and treated them with something shiny but I don't think it is varnish,  more of a preservative but they are now two different colours (some he made himself, some he bought ready made). We need to give them a further coat with "something" to make them look the same, what would you suggest? (Not opaque if possible so we would still see the woodgrain)

THIS MUST BE THE FIRST CASE OF A VARNISHER DOING A VANISHING TRICK!

Is the colour he applied darker than the colour he bought and do you know the brand name and colour??

You may get a friendly paint store to lend you there wooden colour charts so you can get a better idea by comparing each at home and then ask their advice.

Failing that you could try some test patches on the reverse side of the shutters.It will not be too noticeable after some weathering whatever you do-otherwise you will have to sand off as much as possible down to bare wood.

Thank you to both of you, yes I think that's what it is a Lasure. What we want to avoid is to have to sand off to bare wood to apply a new different product. So we will try with a Lasure. I believe they come in different colours? What is Lasure in English, i.e. what would we be looking for in B&Q?

It is  not available  in B/Q as it is a French product and Lasure is a trademarl i.e. like dulux is a product of ICI.

Buy your products in France as if you have any problems then advice is easier and the products are designed generally for the hotter climates found here.

The breathable products should last better as they allow moisture to come and go from the wood compared to what was available say 20 years ago.