Composting toilet

01gringo

Hi,

can anybody tell me if they are using a composting toilet in their property instead of a fosse.

Is this allowed in France? I'm sure region to region will have different requirments, but I'm looking

for a starting point as to whether to even  persue this root. Also regarding grey water, what are the requirements

about running this onto land, if a fosse is required for this then it negates the idea of a composting loo.

Regards

jon

Hi,

thanks for that dave, does seem strange that a composting loo would be illegal considering they are used all over the

world and can cost as much as a small fosse to install. Do you know if a smaller fosse would then be accepted considering

that there would be no toilet waste entering it and it would only be used for grey water?

jon

hi

ok the size of the fosse is controlled buy the number of people / bedrooms you have, minimum size is 3000ltrs for 3 beds or 6 people then add 1000ltrs for every extra bed room ( rough calcs )  but  you will be told what you need when you ask for permission, different areas have different rules even different communes have there own .

Dave

If you research them you will find things have moved on from "the middle ages" in the world of composting toilets.

As regards to what the benifits are, they are the use of no water to flush and free compost, that strikes me has good for my wallet and good for the enviroment.

Jon

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"][quote user="nicktrollope"]

Didn't they have these in the middle ages?

[/quote]

Yeah they were called 'Middins'.  Of course in the Middle Ages they also had Smallpox, cholera, plague,black death ..............

[/quote]

Presumeably caused by the poor sanitation....

No, seriously - I am all for green loos - problem is that the "rules" don't necessarily keep up with the technology (or lack thereof). I doubt if "they" consider a grey water-only fosse as being necessary and hence don't legislate for it.

[quote user="01gringo"]

If you research them you will find things have moved on from "the middle ages" in the world of composting toilets.

As regards to what the benifits are, they are the use of no water to flush and free compost, that strikes me has good for my wallet and good for the enviroment.

Jon

[/quote] I bet if he manages to install one of these his rhubarb will be something to behold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are hoping that the regulations will be modified over the next few years as the " authorities" realise that not everyone can afford these standards and they maybe aren't necessary. Someone told me that these very expensive(4000euro) sand filters will have to be emptied and refilled every few years. We've just had 3 estmates of 7-8000 euros and it's just not possible. Anyway our existing system seems to work ok. So you never know, composting toilets may be an alternative soon.

[quote user="Patf"]We are hoping that the regulations will be modified over the next few years as the " authorities" realise that not everyone can afford these standards and they maybe aren't necessary. Someone told me that these very expensive(4000euro) sand filters will have to be emptied and refilled every few years. We've just had 3 estmates of 7-8000 euros and it's just not possible. Anyway our existing system seems to work ok. So you never know, composting toilets may be an alternative soon.[/quote]

hi

ok   I will repeat what I said in the first posting  the waste from the loo is biodegradeable , don`t the farmers throw it on their fields to grow crops ?? It`s the grey water from baths ,showers ,washing machines etc , the phosphates from the washing powders and soap that causes the problem , it`s modern living sorry...

Dave

ps the first loo was invented by Mr Crapper

Farmers throwing toilet waste or emptying fosse septiques on the fields is illegal and not without good reason - pathogens for a start.

The contents of dry toilets are never used directly on food crops. The normal procedure is to have two dry toilets, use one for a year and then use the other one for a year, by which time the excrement in the first one can be removed and used around fruit trees, fruit bushes or shrubs. It should never be used where it would come into direct contact with food that is to be eaten..

Not everyone uses products which contain Phosphates, there are plenty of bio degradable products available.

Chris

Procedure for the modern systems are that you need only one toilet. The waste from this goes into a set of

containers which are on a turntable and rotated around when one is full. This is then left to compost ready for the garden.

These containers come in various sizes to suit most houses and amount of  inhabitants.

jon

• 7 months later...