sun pipes

DandyT

Similar to a velux but an enclosed pipe going from the roof to the ceiling of the room. easier and cheaper to install - I think- than a velux, partic as our room is below a huge roof void. Does that help?

[quote user="PeterG"]Give me a clue,........What are Sun Pipes?[/quote]

A sun pipe is a tube of highly polished aluminium (polished on the inside that is) - think 200mm flue pipe - top pokes through the roof and is topped with a glass or plastic dome not unlike a giant version of those bulls-eye lenses you used to get on pocket torches. This focuses the sunlight down the tube. The other end of the tube terminates at ceiling height and is capped with a frosted version of the top lens  thus producing - in theory  - a diffused gentle light of daylight wavelength. In the only two I've seen the emphasis was on the 'gentle' even in bright (albeit UK) sunshine. Works best when in a straight line, but can be bent by about 30 - 45 degrees. after that you start to reflect a substantial amount of the light back up the tube.

p

Seen then for sale in some of the larger Brico Sheds (Leroy Merlin and Brico Despot).  I was intrigued but I seem to remember that they were v.expensive.  i.e. many hundreds of euros, could be wrong though so could be worth checking out if either of these outfits have a place near you.

We have one on what was a dark first floor landing here in England. It cost under £1000 including fitting and its light output is a bit disappointing. It's OK and I don't regret getting one, but I'm not overwhelmed with it either.

I think the suggested sizes of pipe in the brochures / ads are a tad optimistic and you really want to double up on the number (and cost) to get a decent amount of light. I once found myself on what should have been a very dark landing in a house (made dark by a loft conversion) and was stunned by the effect of two 300mm diameter tubes compared with my one 250mm.

But if you're going to spend £2000 for a couple of bits of tin foil tube, I think you really ought to be stunned by the effect..

• 2 weeks later...
I bought two last year and installed them myself, all I can say is that they are fantastic - the amount of light they let through is great, and it is free! OK, they were not cheap (about £300 each for 300mm ones) but they were a lot cheaper than having windows installed. I bought them in the UK from here - http://www.sunpipe.co.uk/sunpipe/domestic/index.php - and took them with me so not sure about buying in France. Quite easy to fit, helped by the fact that at present our attic space is not lined as it is currently being converted to rooms. Also lucky that I have put them near Velux roof lights so could do most of the work from inside rather than up ladders.

DandyT

Sunpipe is made by Monodraught in High Wycombe

www.monodraught.com

See attached for local agents

FRANCE

SARL Med & Mountain

1 Rue St François de Paule

66000 Perpignan

France

Tel: +33 4 68 56 54 22

Fax: +33 4 68 55 45 98

Mobile: +33 6 12 29 52 59

e-mail: [email protected]

(For South France - Languedoc-Rousillon area, Departments 11, 30, 34, 66

Wernert Eric Xavier/ Asolaris

3 Rue de Bernstein

67650 Blienschwiller

France

(For East France – Lorraine & Alsace areas, Departments – 67, 68, 90, 88, 57, 54)