Poltergeist in the Plumbing

barneysfriends

The bath waste running at full bore is effectively trying to syphon the water seal from the bottom of the toilet bowl as water runs away down one pipe it is creating a vacuum in the soil pipe which when the pressure has decreased sufficiently will suck a pocket of air through the water seal. Happens cost the French dont have soil vent pipes like we do.

Thanks for all the ideas and helpful advice....certainly food for thought.......it never used to do it, so that's why we are puzzled. Also we have a downstairs loo which isnt giving any problems, just the upstairs plumbing playing up. We have been away for 3 months and so upstairs bathroom wasn't used in that time. Maybe something has crawled up the pipes and is nesting...those horrible millipede things, I expect!

[quote user="BIG MAC"]The bath waste running at full bore is effectively trying to syphon the water seal from the bottom of the toilet bowl as water runs away down one pipe it is creating a vacuum in the soil pipe which when the pressure has decreased sufficiently will suck a pocket of air through the water seal. Happens cost the French dont have soil vent pipes like we do.[/quote]

Yes they do - they just ain't 100mm.

As LeP will confirm, they are part of the norems.

"Like we do" was intended as not the way we do it and incidentally in older properties not uncommon to have none at all sometimes a vented chamber is your lot.

Le P is of course correct as were there a physical blockage then a plug of air could be pushed through the water seal in the bottom of the toilet bowl....either way the noise more than likely is caused by air. This would suggest a blockage downstream of the soil branch but upstream of the vent were there one in the first case.

Try lifting the lid to you main trap and see if it's running freely if not then at least you know which way to point your drain rods.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Its sorted now....we had a fosse emergency on Saturday and managed to find someone to come take a look (French). The fosse was so full it had forced the plastic lid off the liner! And then backed up into the 'Lent' (grease trap?) and escaped into the barn......so we spent 3 hours with the fosse vidange guy yesterday. And all day today with metres of dyno rod pipes and we finally struck oil!

All done now and the plumbing is silent once more......our plimber did fit a valve to help air flow, but it didnt do any good...well, it wouldnt, would it?

We have had a similar problem in that upstairs loos, sinks and baths do this even though loos and sinks etc are taken to the Fosse in different pipes i.e. 100mml  for loos and 50mm for sinks etc. Downstairs loo was unaffected. The problem was caused by the dam at the entry to the fosse being partly blocked by loo paper etc. The cure was to remove this with a high pressure hose. As it happened several times over the years I put a little clip on and glued entry port just before the fosse and I can clear the blockage by putting my hose in here. I would think an over full fosse might also cause this problem as a crust of solids may be blocking the entry as well. I think all water fosses have to be emptied every 4 years now if you have that type. Glad you have it fixed. The charges for a vidange seem to have more than doubled in the last seven years!..........J