Frightening

powerdesal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="powerdesal"]If my memory serves me well.... Quotes from "Electricity for Armourers and Sea Man Gunners"

Electricity is stored in batteries, there are big batteries and small batteries, the small batteries can hold as much as the big ones because the electricity is carefully packed, in the big batteries it is just shovelled in.

You can see electricity at the side of the road sometimes, in the big drums of pipes waiting to be delivered.

Some electricity needs to be connected to the ground to work properly, aircraft have special arrangements.

One day I will find the original print.
[/quote]

I went looking for it and found something similar

Electrical Refresher Training

Because EMTs and first aiders are expected to do mundane human things like change light bulbs and talk on radios, a few hints are given here for their guidance on the mysterious Power of Electricity.

1. Electricity is manufactured in Power Stations, where it is fed into wire which are then wound around large drums. These drums can often be seen on the roadside, especially where electricity is being or about to be delivered to remote towns and villages, such as Preston, Carlisle and Anglesey.

2. Electricity is made up of two ingredients, positive and negative. One ingredient travels along a wire covered in brown plastic, and the other in a wire covered in blue plastic. When these two wires meet together in a socket, the different ingredients mix to form electricity.

3. Some electricity, however, does not need to go along wires, that used in lightning for example, or in portable radios. This kind of electricity is not generated, but lies loose.

4. Electricity must be earthed. That is to say, it has to be connected to the ground before it can function, except in the case of ships and aeroplanes, which have separate arrangements.

5. Electricity makes a low humming noise. This noise may be pitched at different levels for use in doorbells, telephones and electric organs.

6. With the invention of coloured electricity, so also came a great easing of the traffic problem. Hitherto, Policemen had to be used at road junctions.

7. The Light Switch. The lever in the middle of the switch controls a small vice or clamp which grips the wires very hard and thus prevents the electricity from passing that point when the switch is in the OFF position.

8. Electricity may be stored in batteries. Big batteries do not necessarily hold more electricity than small batteries. In big batteries the electricity is just shovelled in, while in the small ones, the electricity is flat packed.

9. The electricity that is held in a defibrillator is flat packed and compressed into separate compartments. This means that when the spring loaded vice switch is pressed, the release of ingredients is so quick that they collide at great speed somewhere in the casualty's chest and make the casualty jump.

Because of this, paramedics are asked not to defibrillate if the casualty is of a nervous disposition.

[quote user="powerdesal"]This from another forum      "But basically, there's not a neutral wire in the French system, because the current is split between the two."

The mind boggles. [:@]
[/quote]Forgive me if I'm mistaken but isn't this what they do in the 'good ole' US of A, essentially 2 phase 110v to ground ?

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]This from another forum      "But basically, there's not a neutral wire in the French system, because the current is split between the two."

The mind boggles. [:@]

[/quote]Forgive me if I'm mistaken but isn't this what they do in the 'good ole' US of A, essentially 2 phase 110v to ground ?

[/quote]

I do believe you are right ErnieY but they are Americans and have to be different, one day they even learn how to use SI units.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]This is all well and good, but my mother really believed that if you took the plug out of the socket and didn't turn it off, then the electricity would leak out.

She claimed to be able to smell it...
[/quote]

And if you subscribe to this theory you would presumably be able to see it.  [8-)]

"So simple! So obvious that we couldn't see it! Leo discovered how power circuits work. He says smoke is the real thing that makes power circuits work because every time you let smoke out of something electrical, it quits working. He claims to have verified this with thorough testing."

"Of course! Smoke makes all things that are electrical work. Remember the last time smoke escaped from a transformer? Didn't it quit working? I sat and smiled like an idiot as more of the truth dawned. I remembered when I'd witnessed the awful destruction of a four-kilovolt breaker and bus at Sunnyvale. The breaker and bus had leaked out so much smoke that they actually melted and quit working. See, it's the conductor that carries the smoke from one device to another. It starts at a power plant where the stuff is burned to produce smoke. The smoke we see coming from the stacks is excess that the system doesn't need. The smoke is then sent down the conductors to transformers. Transformers are big and require lots of smoke to work properly. That's why the conductors are so big. If those conductors spring a leak, it lets the smoke out of everything, and then nothing works! Forget about electron theory!"

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"][quote user="Chas"]

Leclanche with inventing the cell that early electricity was kept in.

[/quote]

What had it done to deserve that?

[/quote]

Improperly conducting itself  I believe