The use of twin and earth

f1steveuk

Its not the norm certainly but they do sell it here.  I have it in a cave on a feed to a plug socket, the cable running on clips along a beam and down the wall.  In addition the feeds to the lights in my barn from the switches are all twin and earth, this was all installed by French electricians.

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I have several rolls of British twin & earth, and a large wiring job to do. Can I actually use twin and earth in France?

[/quote]

Given the current price of anything using copper, and assuming you mean twin+earth in red & black, your best bet is to strip the red and black out of the cable, buy 2 rolls of blue and 2 rolls of G+Y, and  you've saved a third of the price of cable here. You might even find a buyer for the unsheathed earth wire!

p

[quote user="Ron Avery"]Its not the norm certainly but they do sell it here.  I have it in a cave on a feed to a plug socket, the cable running on clips along a beam and down the wall.  In addition the feeds to the lights in my barn from the switches are all twin and earth, this was all installed by French electricians.[/quote]

Are you sure Ron? UK T&E would be completely alien to a French electrician, as you can't buy it here. Are you confusing it with RO2 - the round 3-core rigid cable (which is to normes, having 3 insulated cores)?

[quote user="Nick Trollope"][quote user="Ron Avery"]Its not the norm certainly but they do sell it here.  I have it in a cave on a feed to a plug socket, the cable running on clips along a beam and down the wall.  In addition the feeds to the lights in my barn from the switches are all twin and earth, this was all installed by French electricians.[/quote]

Are you sure Ron? UK T&E would be completely alien to a French electrician, as you can't buy it here. Are you confusing it with RO2 - the round 3-core rigid cable (which is to normes, having 3 insulated cores)?

[/quote]

I too have quite a lot of "apparently" twin and earth outside in the barn and utility room but closer inspection reveals three insulated cores, black, blue and green  

That's about typical, there are two things I have alot of lying around  (twin and earth and leaves) and both are useless and in one case worth nothing! I don't really fancy atripping out all of the cores, sounds mind numbing!

I've sent you an e mail Mon. Gluestick, but the short answer is "fine thank you, You?"

• 3 months later...
So back on the twin and earth thing!! I had given up on the idea, cant use it, so ......

I'm in Bricomarche today, and what are they selling? Yep, twin and earth and it's blue, brown, and a roll of green/yellow.

So if you cant use it, why are they selling it?? Yours Confused, Belves

Is this Twin and Earth, Steve, with the Earth bare but moulded between the other insulated conductors; and with the earth one single thin strand with the two main conductors much larger in diameter?

Apart from which, how the Devil are you?

[quote user="f1steveuk"]So back on the twin and earth thing!! I had given up on the idea, cant use it, so ......

I'm in Bricomarche today, and what are they selling? Yep, twin and earth and it's blue, brown, and a roll of green/yellow.

[/quote]

Twin and Earth relates to the UK flat White or Grey cable with two insulated conductors (usually black and red) and a central bare earth core. The bare earth conductor is thinner gauge copper than the insulated conductors.

The cable sold in France is three core and will have all three cores insulated. The cores also have the same thickness copper conductors.

Another reason for not using UK cable is that the UK black conductor is used for Neutral whereas the French use black conductors as Phase or Live!!!!!

Trevor

[quote user="trevoraki"][quote user="f1steveuk"]So back on the twin and earth thing!! I had given up on the idea, cant use it, so ......

[/quote]

Twin and Earth relates to the UK flat White or Grey cable with two insulated conductors (usually black and red) and a central bare earth core. The bare earth conductor is thinner gauge copper than the insulated conductors.

The cable sold in France is three core and will have all three cores insulated. The cores also have the same thickness copper conductors.

Another reason for not using UK cable is that the UK black conductor is used for Neutral whereas the French use black conductors as Phase or Live!!!!!

Trevor

[/quote]

Pardon!!!!!!!  Which French code / normes are you referring to?

Michael, fine thank you, and you? Sort of enjoying being home, but fed up with storm after storm after storm!

This is pukka twin and earth, even supplied with a roll of yellow and green insulation for the tails! Flat section carrier, exactly as in the UK, but different coloured live and nuetrals! If I had had the time I would have asked someone, but I didn't! I was drawn to it as I was staggered to see it there.............