How much gravel

Belle

A very quick look on t'internet found loose dry gravel to be about 1.5 tonnes per cubic metre.

10 tonnes will give you about 6.7 cubic metres.

Spread evenly over 50 square metres this will give you a depth of about 13cm or 5 inches.

As they say, your mileage might vary.

Either pack it down well or take it easy when you drive away... [:D]

Gravel has a density of about 1.682. Therefore 10 tonnes = say 5.9 cubic metres. Therefore with no air space 50 cubic metres would be 11.89 cms thick = say 4.7 inches. allowing for air say 5 to 6 inches.

Please could somebody check. Roughly inline with above.

Our local quarry will sell you whatever you want so might be worth looking at hiring a small tipper and making a few trips. Too much for a small trailor.

Approx 4cm depth of stone chips spread onto a firm substrate and compacted worked for us.  The driveway and the parking area in front of the house and barn get a lot of traffic and 4cm works perfectly - no weed problems and no problems driving on it.  Wherever it is thicker we find that tyres plough into it. You definitely don't want 4 or 5 inches!

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/complete/PICT0006.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/complete/housefront_2008_may1.jpg[/IMG]

Antons' calculation is correct if you do not make the addition for air, ie total thickness  12cm or 4.7".

One cubic meter of gravel weighs that weight complete with air spaces which is why you can add another 1/2 cubic meter of sand and cement without increasing the volume.

Can you use or lose some elsewhere?

you have a loverly house cassis, and the drive looks beautiful, so am I right in saying that about 3inches of gravel would be ok, I am quite worried that 10 ton is going to be too much, how many tons did you put on your drive.and roughly how big is it, Thank you, to everyone else aswell. Just as a reminder we want to cover 50 sq meters.

Ours is stone chippings rather than gravel per se.  We used 25 tonnes to cover about 250m2.  So using the volume conversions above,  that's about 15m3 of stone chippings.  So I would estimate the average (theoretical) depth is about 5 to 6cm, or two inches.  Personally, I really would not put it on thicker if I wanted to drive on it, unless the existing surface was soft and the excess was going to be compacted and "lost" in the earth. 

Get the driver to drop off the excess here - we need another 25 tonnes to finish around the west side of the house at some point.

[quote user="Belle"]you have a loverly house cassis, and the drive looks beautiful, so am I right in saying that about 3inches of gravel would be ok, I am quite worried that 10 ton is going to be too much, how many tons did you put on your drive.and roughly how big is it, Thank you, to everyone else aswell. Just as a reminder we want to cover 50 sq meters.[/quote]

Belle, listen to Casis, 40-50mm Not 3 inches!

You will end up with a gravel trap, have you seen what happens to a formular 1 car when it hits deep gravel?

10 tons is far too much, even  if you pack it down well it will move all over the place so you have to re-pack it down every now and again.

5 ton would be ample, it can help to use ballast (sand and gravel) the sand gets between the gravel and helps stop the gravel moving so much.

Bon courage

If I may give you a bit of advice?

We have a gravel drive. The gravel we have is just the right size to be picked up by the soles of trainers, sandals and wellies! IT IS A PAIN! I would advise that you get stuff that's about 1 cm and crushed not like small pebbles. We will be changing our at the first oppertunity!!!

• 1 month later...

Anton,

I'm on here researching gravel for my drive in 33 (not far from you in Bourg sur Gironde).  I need around 2 tonnes, and was hoping I could get a local merchant to deliver.  I'm expecting to pay around £100 a tonne for 10-20mm limestone - am I about right?

Also, off topic a bit - I need to shift around a tonne of rubble left over from earlier renovations - probably too much for the back of the estate, but I've been told skips are expensive.  Any idea how much I might pay in 33?  Beginning to wonder if it might be worth buying a trailer off ebay and bringing it down with us.

thanks

Weights of materials.

Coverage of stone for 1 tonne weight

Dry sand

fine

tonnes per cubic metre

sets (100mmx100mmx100mm)

3.9 sq.m.

Dry sand

coarse

tonnes per cubic metre

Cobbles 50/70mm on end

6.5 sq.m.

Topsoil (some moisture)

tonnes per cubic metre

pebbles 25/45mm loose@50mm

10 sq.m.

Ballast

tonnes per cubic metre

gravel 25mm rolled

30 sq.m.

gravel

MOT Type 1 scalpings

tonnes per cubic metre

tarmac

12mm deep

13 sq.m.

shingle

tonnes per cubic metre

yorkstone paving 50mm

7.5 sq.m.

cement

& 25 kg bags

slate

25mm deep

12 sq.m.

[quote user="lancashirelass11"]

I'm expecting to pay around £100 a tonne for 10-20mm limestone - am I about right?

[/quote]

Prices vary.  I think we paid 24€ a tonne for 10-15mm limestone in 2005 including delivery from a quarry about 15km away.

A trailer is invaluable for shifting crap and collecting sacks of lime, cement etc. 

If the comment made by the guy in our dechetterie is anything to go by then I would get a decent trailer in the U.K. His remark when he saw ours was "Oh a English remorque, much better than the French crap". He is French!

Ours is a thick galvanised job and it has been the most useful tool we have!!!

Thanks - I just got a similar price for 30mm calcaire, but it's been suggested that I will be forever walking white dust into the house, so wondering what I can get that doesn't shed dust, but is not too much more expensive.

Also, I am laying the stuff onto a mixture of scruffy concrete and tarmac, I was going to just lay a couple of inches of 20mm gravel straight on top, no messing with anything bigger underneath.  Presume that is OK?