Electricity energy usage in winter

osie

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can explain why my EDF energy usage is twice as much in december(winter) as it is in spring.  By this I mean the KW/H.

We have gas central heating and so cant think why this might be.  All the general electrical appliances are used equally throughout the year including lights etc.  In fact, being a hotel with guests mainly in season, I would have expected the exact opposite.  The only thing that is different is the gas heating is on much more during the winter.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

osie

Despite your comments on lighting, I would be astounded if you do not use lighting more in winter. Your gas CH will no doubt have an electrically driven circulation pump so that accounts for some additional use. Do you 'occasionally' use a dryer in winter when it is too wet to hang out the washing, I would suggest you do. All the little things add up.

The water is also heated via gas... and we dont use the dryer any more than in winter... We also have lights all round the grounds which are turned off in winter.

The hot water pump is definitely a possibility but can that account for a double increase.

Is it a general trend that winter requires more electrical energy...due to hidden extras

p.s. its not an unexpected increase as it happens every year.. its my off time to ponder upon all those things not pondered since last winter.

Thanks

osie

I cant comment on 'hidden extras' because I have no idea what you might mean.

In Power generation and Distribution Operational terms, energy demand is much higher in winter than summer, which is why generator maintenance is done in summer and not winter and why systems tend to get overloaded in winter leading to problems occasionally.

The increased demand is a combination of heating demand, additional lighting etc etc. Mostly heating of course. Possibly surprisingly, the demand caused by electric kettles is a substantial part of demand peaks, particularly at the end of popular TV programmes. Prog finishes and millions of people put the kettle on, within seconds of each other. Imagine a 3kw kettle multiplyed by (say) 20 million households. Nightmare time for the grid control centre.

In your own household, now its winter are you making more cups of tea / coffee instead of cool glasses of beverage on the patio in summer??

A thought perhaps!

[quote user="powerdesal"]

In your own household, now its winter are you making more cups of tea / coffee instead of cool glasses of beverage on the patio in summer??
A thought perhaps!
[/quote]

Don't most of us cook more in the winter, rather than having barbeques and salads? Many winter dishes, such as stew, need longer cooking and there's more inclination to cook for pleasure and occupation when the weather's cold.

Another thought, perhaps!

We have 8 guest rooms all with tea/coffee making facitilies outside of winter.  and during the winter I actually cook most of the food on a wood burner(bloody brilliant) or with gas whereas outside of winter I cook in the restaurant every evening which includes an electric oven and dish washers/2 fridges etc.

By hidden (hidden by my eyes that is) I meant things like the electric water pump.

Dont get me wrong, I am not questioning the bill... I just want to understand the situation and if possible help the environment and bank balance at the same time.

osie

Perhaps your neighbour is running his electric central heating from your supply

Stranger things have happened.

personally I think it more likley that it is an accumulation of little things - water pump, plus a few extra hours lighting, plus a bit more TV/radio because you are inside more, plus more hot drinks, plus hotter water for showers and baths, plus the elctric heater popped on for a couple of minutes just to take the chill off, plus plus plus

We don't have electric heating but our bills are higher in winter than summer - probably also by a factor of around 2

The answer is very simple if your meter reading regime is the same as in my region.

You get 6 bi-monthly factures for electricity, if you are lucky you will have your meter read twice a year never more. So at least 4 of the 6 factures will be estimated.

It is common for the winter estimates to be significantly higher than the summer ones as this reflects most peoples energy consumption but not yours[:)]

If you look at your facture half way down on the left you will see "Evolution de votre consommation en KWH" which will show how many units you have been billed each period for the last year, the figures in bold are actual readings, the others are estimated.

If your meter is read just before the winter period and the actual consumption has been lower than estimated then the following estimates will be increased with the winter one being proportionately higher.

FWIW I find that once they work out your consumption the estimates are very accurate edging towards the low side if anything, this will of course be thrown out of kilter by the sporadic consumption of a residence secondaire.

If your estimated reading is off the mark in either direction then you can let EDF know (but quickly) and they will send you another bill.

My last meter reading was either misread or inputted incorrectly resulting in my having a €30 credit instead of a bill of around €90, I let it go as it saved me going into town to pay the bill and it will get corrected next time (I hope).

Hi All

After making some spreadsheets for the last 2 years it is quite consistent and I have to agree with Andy that it is all those little things to lift ones spirits over the cold period... which is probably why EDF charge so much... No, I am sure there are ecological reasons.

In truth it is the time between october and  november where there is a relative large increase in our usage and this can be due to all the cleaning for end of season.

btw: Our bill is the real value... and the bill is monthly