Removing toilet stains

mike.m

Hi ,

Sorry to lower the tone but we have inherited a toilet  with some unsightly staining at the bottom of the bowl . Elbow grease has so far failed to do the business (oops)

and I was wondering (before replacing the system ) if anyone had any suggestions for a chemical/cleaning solution that might be available at the DIY emporia ?

Many  thanks

An idea to try before the Cilit Bang perhaps, a dishwashing tablet thrown in last thing at night and left till the morning. Weird, but it does work on a lot of stains[:)] Then again, I also clean the oven with aerial washing powder[:D]!!!!

[quote user="Russethouse"]

It may be worth using a pumice stone, depends if it is just stain or stain and scale

[/quote]

Never in a million years on porcelain you will ruin the glaze.

If its a porcelain bowl then Spirt of Salts (available from chemists) or believe it or not brick cleaning acid (Disclean or similar) Open windows / make sure space is ventilated put into bowl (Very very carefully as toxic gasses can be given off) vital that no other chemicals , toilet cleaners, flush additives etc are not present as they can cause unwanted and potentially dangerous chemical reactions.

about half an hour then brush and flush (Wear rubber gloves and do not breathe fumes) If porcelain is already  deeply stained a reapplication may be needed.

Be mindful that this is no going to do a septic tank much good

You have probably finished the job by now, I'm with Big Mac on this one. Spririt of salts (hydrochloric acid) from most brico sheds. empty as much water as possible and follow Big Macs instructions.

Cilit bang is very good at limescale which is certainly what this is so you could try that first.

The septic should be ok if you put some of septic booster down afterwards, the limescale will nuetralise the acid to quite a degree, serious conditions need serious solutions [:D]

[quote user="teapot"]

[quote user="BIG MAC"]As the OP is saying no septic tank I would be reaching for the spirt of salts if you have never used it before prepare to be amazed.[/quote]

Very true BigMac,  take your breath away it will [+o(]

[/quote]

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFUL ........