Hep2o or Speedfit Pipe

Quillan

I need to replace some plastic water pipe on a mobile home here in France. What I need to get hold of is some Hep2o or Speedfit pipe 15mm diameter. I did find a website (Sud Evasion) who sell it in 6M lengths but have now discovered they are somewhat dodgy i.e. taken my money won't answer phone calls or emails and its been a month. This stuff comes in 6M fixed lengths or coils of 25M, can anyone help me out with a supplier who will ship to France or even better a French source.

Thanks Pierre, it does look like I shall have to visit Gruissan which I think is my nearest as they don't deliver. Still it will be a nice day out and the weather down here is suppose to hit 22 deg today and stay like it over the weekend. At least I can go sit on the beach.

Thanks

[quote user="Quillan"]No I had a look there it's 16mm that they sell. If I could find a way to convert plastic15mm pipe to 16mm I would, save a load of grief. Thanks for the thought anyway.[/quote]

You can.......sort of.

As thread sizes are the same, you could buy a French half inch female iron x 16mm french hep2o connector ........and also from the uk order a half inch x 15mm male iron.

The UK MI will screw unto the French FI.........

Hmm.....sounds a bit sordid I know, but it will give you a !5mm Uk x 16mmFr fitting.

[quote user="Quillan"]No I had a look there it's 16mm that they sell. If I could find a way to convert plastic15mm pipe to 16mm I would, save a load of grief. Thanks for the thought anyway.[/quote]

Buy a 15mm-22mm converter and a 22mm-16mm converter that should bump you up and then down to the right size 22mm being common to both Hep2o systems.

Source a short length of 15 mm copper in the UK , two 15mm to 15mm copper compresion joints and two 15mm plastic to 15mm metal connectors

Source a 16mm plastic to 16mm copper connectors in France and replace the olive and nut with the 15 mm olive from UK.

Join UK plastic to copper then copper to French plastic . Insulated well.  This should work but no gurantees- despite being labled in metric threaded copper connectors in France are actually 3/8th 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch.

Sorry missed some of the intermediate postings

Thanks for all the help.

I had a look at the website that Mark gave, they don't exactly do much in the way of fittings unfortunately in comparison to the 15mm range like tap connectors both male and female for example. They don't even appear to have the metal inserts for joints or have I missed something?

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"][quote user="jondeau"]

The UK MI will screw unto the French FI.........

[/quote]

That sounds very biblical  [:D]

[/quote]

It was a typo............

In my defence, I was on my third glass of red wine at the time.

[quote user="LEO"]J G  Speedfit  is a far superior and more advanced  product than Hep2 ( Speedfit is white and Hep2 is grey)

[/quote]

I much prefer Hep2o.......it is far more flexible than Speedfit and the Speedfit plastic inserts used to be nightmare to get into the pipe.

[quote user="jondeau"]

[quote user="LEO"]J G  Speedfit  is a far superior and more advanced  product than Hep2 ( Speedfit is white and Hep2 is grey)

[/quote]

I much prefer Hep2o.......it is far more flexible than Speedfit and the Speedfit plastic inserts used to be nightmare to get into the pipe.

[/quote]

I did have that problem putting a Speedfit insert into a Hep2o pipe. I don't know if the inside diameter is smaller on Hep2o, I don't have any Speedfit pipe to compare it with. I found I had to put a bit of wood across the insert and lightly tap it in with a hammer.

[quote user="Quillan"]Speedfix uses plastic and Hep2o uses Metal. The way they lock is different but the pipe is the same.[/quote]

I am aware of the locking mechanism difference as indeed I am aware that Hep will 'cable' more readily and if you get the correct type it can still be used in a screed. Speedfit is ok in visible installations but to be honest I don't trust it the pipe is more rigid and I would guess the make up to be different.

I am thinking that it may be worth having a go with a 15mm insert to see if using the 16mm pipe - olive / nut combo it may just be sufficient to allow the olive to bite down, I think it maybe the case that the olive may cut into the pipe. I have had a check in the shed to see if I have the relevant bits lurking about just to see but cant find any 16mm pipe other than PEX this got me thinking  we regularly connect 16mm to manifolds a quick google came up with http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/36x-16mm-Compression-Adaptor-Multilayer-Pipe-Fitting_W0QQitemZ280315215100QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090221?IMSfp=TL090221177001r12954 

Quillan, I have a selection of various hep20 fittings and pipe here is Mayenne if it's any use - 15 years of working on other peoples DIY Plumbing installations in France made me stock various bits for breakdowns etc.

I have approximlately 40 metres of 16mm Hep20 new pipe; I have a 16mm to 15mm HEP20 reducer, a 15mm T for Hep20 and a 15mm straight through coupling. I also have around 50 various fittings for 16mm Hep20, which are mainly T's and through couplings, plus metal inserts for 16mm. I may have one or two 15mm inserts too.

I think it has been already mentioned that www.realheating.com  are suppliers here in France, which is where I sourced my stuff from a few years back. This link shows you some fitiings http://www.realheating.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=16

It is quite easy to adapt from 15 to 16mm pipe in copper - I do it all the time. I use a flaring tool to flare out the end of the pipe to the exact diameter required to slip into either a copper fitting of another piece of French pipe. It's quite a common pipe jointing method here is France, which I learnt from a brazing course I attended here.