Help! How big and how much??!!

majr

Hello!

I hope somebody can help, I have a couple of questions. I have been sent documents through for a house I'm trying to buy, the size of the property is given as 58 a 70ca, I don't know what this means and how to convert it into something I understand, i.e. acres or square meters or something, can anyone help?

Also, this is a cheap little place, £30k I have asked the Notaire for an indication of his fees bearing in mind that it's a cash buy, no awkward contractual bits and bobs and I'm happy with the property exactly as it is, he's informed me it will cost 6500 euros, that's 16%! Seems very excessive being as he's also not responded to any of my emails or attached any of the correct paperwork and made loads of mistakes on the contract. Anything I can do about this before signing the Compromis de vente?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mat.

Thanks for the link, not quite what I was after, my fault for not explaining properly. I can find loads of conversion sites but I don't know what I'm converting! I don't understand what 58 a 70 ca is an abbreviation of, what is it short for? a and ca are units of what? I can't convert it into acres because I don't know what it means! I may well be thick.

Thanks for any help.

Mat.

Hi Cooperlola

This is what's on the details, that's all I know at the moment! Does that help at all?

Prefixe    Section     No      Adresse ou lieudit      Contenance

A             379     Maye des castries      35 a 10 ca

A             380     30 rue de la gare        23 a 60 ca

Contenance totale         58 a 70 ca

I presume it's detailing the size of the house and of the land and giving a total area but it could be something else entirely!

Thanks for the Notaire link Les, seems about right according to that, just felt like a lot of money.

Mat.

This is what's on the details, that's all I know at the moment! Does that help at all?

Mètre carré

Le mètre carré (symbole ) est l'unité d'aire du système international.

Définition

Le mètre carré est l'unité de base pour mesurer une surface.

Il correspond à l'aire d'un carré d'un mètre de côté.

Il correspond à un centiare (1 m² = 1 ca) ou centième d'are

Multiples

• Décamètre carré ou are : (1 a = 100 m²)

• Hectomètre carré ou hectare : (1 ha = 10 000 m²)

• Kilomètre carré  : Km² : (1 km² = 1 000 000 m²)

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

a = are which is 100 square metres

ca = centi are = 100th of 100 square metres or 1 square metre

[/quote]

Thanks for the details, I may be wrong but it reads to me that;

58 a or 58 x 100 square meters =5800m2

70 ca or 70x 1 sqaure meters = 70m2

which gives a total of 5870m2, does that seem right?/

Mat.

Actually what you have is a property made up of two individual plots, one of 3510 sq metres and one of 2360 sq metres. IE About half a hectare.

Now you have me confused......

We bought a 5 bed longere with  a huge parking area infront, 2 gardens at the rear and a small field next  to it and on my documents it describes the whole area as  "L'ensemble cadastre section C numero xxx , pour une contenance de trente neuf ares cinquante sept centiares ( 39a 57ca) "

I'd hardly call it small!!!!

Looks like your total is larger than ours Mat????

It takes 3 gardeners 1/2 hr to strim,hand mow and sit-on mow.

Hello!

Thanks for all the answers, no, it doesn't sound so small now, it shouldn't be! I was told that it was 7000 sqare meters, a not insignificant amount larger than what it now appears I am buying. I will have to confirm the details, unfortunately it's not the Notaire who has the information I understand, I have to go to the local mayor and get copies of the land details I think. I haven't seen it myself as I am out of the country, that said I have had 3 family members visit now on 3 different occasions, half an hour of video and about 300 photographs!

My issue with the land is that it is very overgrown and there is no boundary markings so I want to be sure of the area I'm paying for, everyone who's seen it has fallen in love with it but I still want to get all the facts straight.

Thanks again for the comments.

Mat.