Grease Trap - where can I get one?

Tony F Dordogne

Hi guys

I'm looking to replace the grease trap and having looked around, all I can find is a 500 l one in Leroy Merlin and a 200 l one in Brico Depot, both of which are far too big.

Do any of you plumber type techy people know where I'm likely to find something like a 100 litre grease trap - all I have atm is sort of a stone basin (came with the house) which is gross at the best of times.

In desperation I will ask the question yet again!

Why do we need a grease trap here in France when it is not needed in England! We had a fosse equivalent in our house near Stroud. It was served by 2 houses and I lived there for 23 years, the neighbour for longer, neither of us treated it like a delicate child. There was no grease trap and it worked wonderfully. It was emptied 2 times in the time I was there and the 'honey bucket truck' driver said that it was as good and healthy as any he had seen!

Why oh why the need for kid gloves with these here!?

Sorry to hijack your thread for a mo Tony [:)]

[quote user="carmelle"]If you don't find a smaller , it's because  there are standards now , and you can't avoid them .[/quote]

I'm aware there are standards Carmelle, I'm on a committee which works with/oversees some of the work of my local SPANC and I'm not trying to avoid anything, just trying to make something fit into a finite space.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]In desperation I will ask the question yet again!

Why do we need a grease trap here in France when it is not needed in England! [/quote]

We do not have a grease trap.

The new system was installed in 2003 as per the recommendation and supervision of the SATESE du Lot.

I'm relieved to read the two last comments,  from such eminent people too!

I've been worrying a bit about the fact that AFAIK we don't have a grease trap either.    We've had to postpone our inspection from last December as we aren't back over to France until later this month,   so I'm hoping that we're not going to have the upheaval of having to install one.

Seems perhaps that different standards apply in different regions of France.   Plus ca change.

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Seems perhaps that different standards apply in different regions of France.[/quote]

I gather it depends on what type of fosse is installed.

Ours is a 4000l fosse toutes eaux with a prefilter which acts as a bac à graisse (see here).

The system in use at the time we purchased the property did have a grease trap, but it was completely bypassed by the new system.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Martinwatkins"]Seems perhaps that different standards apply in different regions of France.[/quote]
I gather it depends on what type of fosse is installed.
Ours is a 4000l fosse toutes eaux with a prefilter which acts as a bac à graisse (see here).

The system in use at the time we purchased the property did have a grease trap, but it was completely bypassed by the new system.

[/quote]

hi ok

sorry thats wrong  the pre filter you have shown is a pre filter thats fitted in to the fosse to stop solids getting into the sand filter / drainage field , it`s on the outlet of the fosse not the inlet

Dave

You do need a grease trap if your fosse is more than 10m from the house - ours is and we have one! We had a completely new system installed and inspected by SPANC last year. Our bac à graisse is 300L - fosse 4000L and filer bed 30m3.

Lou