Freestanding kitchens

chrisb

Does anyone know which French kitchen companies offer the free-standing type of units?

The firms I've found on the net all seem to just be doing fitted units.

My OH has already rejected the Ikea ones! Seen several possibles in the UK - but would prefer to buy in France rather than have to transport them.

[quote user="chrisb"]

My OH has already rejected the Ikea ones! Seen several possibles in the UK - but would prefer to buy in France rather than have to transport them.

[/quote]

Why doesn't she like them? If it is the range of doors that don't fit the bill, could you buy the cheapest IKEA option doors (which you could sell at a later date to recoup some of the cost) and buy doors that she does like. They could be purchased in the UK and there would be less transport hassle from a volume and weight point of view.

We have purchased IKEA - because quality for money is excellent - but some years ago we had an ash tree felled and planked and sometime this year, DB is going to make doors / drawer fronts / "feet" from the wood. To me it's a good compromise of reasonably priced "structure" with custom finishing. And gives us a little bit of Wiltshire in Manche. [8-|]

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="chrisb"]
[/quote]
Why doesn't she like them? If it is the range of doors that don't fit the bill, could you buy the cheapest IKEA option doors (which you could sell at a later date to recoup some of the cost) and buy doors that she does like. They could be purchased in the UK and there would be less transport hassle from a volume and weight point of view.

We have purchased IKEA - because quality for money is excellent - but some years ago we had an ash tree felled and planked and sometime this year, DB is going to make doors / drawer fronts / "feet" from the wood. To me it's a good compromise of reasonably priced "structure" with custom finishing. And gives us a little bit of Wiltshire in Manche. [8-|]
[/quote]

Note: Freestanding kitchen units, IQUEER only sell the Varde freestanding with only one door option.

EDIT: two door options, you could leave them off [:D][:P]

We're having a custom built hardwood kitchen built by our local carpenter, for about a 5th of the cost in the UK,  in our old french house we put the free staning IKEA one the quality really isn't that bad if you choose the units carefully , saying that though I'm more than happy with the new kitchen it has the look of Smallbone or Plain English and thinks its extremely good value[:)]

Thanks for all the useful comments folks.

I decided NOT to enquire further about what was wrong with the IKEA ones - you just get a sense of when it's best to keep quiet.

SWMBA has now seen some she likes the look of - unfortunately from John Lewis, so I will be trying to discover who makes them for them in case they are available in France. If not then it's probably another van hire job!

I would love a custom built one - especially if it could use old oak or ash.

I know it may need a van but the price saving by buying in the UK can balance that out try.....

http://www.oldcreameryfurniture.com/index.htm  My belief is that they can give a very good run for money against many 'bespoke' kitchen suppliers not mentioning any other names!!!

We recently bought a waxed reclaimed pine Larder Cupboard, a  freestanding Sink with ''Belfast'' evier and a dresser unit, good quality, better price, choice of ''Farrow and Ball'' Colours, and we used the Guys at  A1 UK and European Couriers for transport.

Similar units were available from 'domestics' in Bordeaux when I last looked.

[email protected]  for a quote.

Usual disclaimers.

The Telegraph newspaper has included a supplement called Bargain Britain recently and highlight a firm with the website kitchens123.co.uk for top name kitchens at bargain prices. Sorry don't know how to make it a link[:$] Any good to you?

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Just wanted to say thank you Retread - have had a wonderful few minutes drooling over those kitchens. I can but dream! What is 'domestics' in Bordeaux?
[/quote]

Its a retailer in Bordeaux  try www.domestics.fr/ Bilingual site, you should note that The Units you looked at are all free standing and do not contain any chipboard, PVC edges and come fully assembled

I do admire Ikea, how have they managed to convince so any people that they sell good value furniture, I've always believed that IKEA was danish for MFI!

Thanks Retread and Jo - gosh lots more possibilities.

We're off to France next weekend so it'll be out with the tape measure and graph paper. Or perhaps I should investigate CAD - Calva Aided Design.

Thanks again folks.

• 2 weeks later...
If you can find someone, employing a local carpenter to make the kitchen to your specification could prove to be a good (and fairly economical) option.  The small carpentry firm I used to work for (in the UK) did "bespoke" kitchens starting from a few thousand.

Prices can vary hugely depending on the materials used.  If you want all the units made from solid oak, for example, the price will reflect the cost of the material, but if you choose pine, the price will be much lower.  We compromised when we built our kitchen, and have painted pine units with solid oak tops

• 2 months later...

I am just starting to look at kitchens and am finding it very confusing.

Lulubel, I have found your comment interesting. I have had in my mind that I would like solid oak and the only price I have received so far is from a  local carpenter because of what I read on this thread. But he is very expensive. I have never thought of pine and will now have a look at that. I want the wood painted regardless so it really shouldn't matter if it is oak or pine.

However, I would be interested to know about your pine kitchen. I have heard that solid wood (oak and pine) will move a lot and if painted, the frame can move from the centre panels and show the area not painted as well as sometimes holes and gaps. Have you had this problem with your pine kitchen?

Also for those of you with handmade wood kitchens, how are your drawers constructed? Are they also solid wood are are they metal?

[quote user="WJT"]

I have had in my mind that I would like solid oak and the only price I have received so far is from a  local carpenter because of what I read on this thread. But he is very expensive. I have never thought of pine and will now have a look at that. I want the wood painted regardless so it really shouldn't matter if it is oak or pine. I think I will finally have to give up on the painted oak one I fancied on Kitchens123.[:(]

However, I would be interested to know about your pine kitchen. I have heard that solid wood (oak and pine) will move a lot and if painted, the frame can move from the centre panels and show the area not painted as well as sometimes holes and gaps. Have you had this problem with your pine kitchen?

Also for those of you with handmade wood kitchens, how are your drawers constructed? Are they also solid wood are are they metal?

[/quote]

we have had our painted solid pine freestanding dresser and sink base for three years now and have seen no signs of shrinkage etc, provided that the wood used is not still in leaf ,that the paint is properly applied and that the humidity or lack thereof remains constant you should not have problems, I have found that suppliers of kitchens using particle board will often use this argument to promote their product.

Drawers:-

Solid pine throughout, they work sitting  in metal roller bearing slides.

Reference to these units has already been made in the early part of the thread (page 2). Looked at kitchens123 ....do they supply free standing furniture?