kitchen units, space between worktop and cupboard?

Llantony

Sounds a daft question, is there an standard measurement of the space between worktops and wall cupboards?  We are about to install an Ikea kitchen and realise we don't know.  Obviously we need to be able to work without bumping our heads, but the ceiling is low.  There is also the question of being able to reach the upper shelves of cupboards.

Ours are pretty standard, worktop 900 off the floor and 450mm from w/top to bottom of cupboards (aligning with top of door 2m, to tie in with eyeline) but when we refit the kitchen the variable will be the space between the w/top and bottom of cupboard. I don't believe there's a regulation governing it![8-|]

There`s no set distance between worktop and cupboards but bear in mind if you are going to tile the wall between the two,  a little careful measuring beforehand may save a lot of awkward cutting.

Also, there have been quite a few posts on the forum regarding the fitting of Ikea kitchens as they tend to differ from the bog standard British version, it may be worth a bit of a peruse prior to starting.

Good luck.

Dexter   

I've installed Ikea units. 

The measurement from top of work surface to underside of cupboards is 450mm because the stainless steel Ikea splashback panels are 450mm high.

[I]  If you're planning to tile the splashback, make the gap a multiple of the tile height (+grout gaps) so that you won't need to cut the tiles.

If I remember correctly the legs/supports come in three different heights. I chose the tallest so the w/surface is 950mm from the floor.

If it were me I'd not even bother with standard measurements but stick them up at whatever height suited my/our personal needs, rounded up or down to a full tile if I was planning to use tiles as a splashback, you're the ones who are going to be using it after all [;-)]

If you intend to install any full-height units, such as a freezer unit or an oven unit, or a larder unit (if you can find one here!!), then the TOP of your wall units should be fitted to line-up with the TOP of those full-height ones. Otherwise 600mm is a good height above the worktop to the bottom of the wall units.

Sid

There is a regulation if you are fitting the cupboards over a hob, but I can't remember what it is [:$] I fitted my sister's IKEA kitchen and had to have a break in the run of cupboards over the hob as her ceiling was too low to accommodate the minimum distance requirement. Also as far as I remember IKEA kitchen units go right back to the wall, there's no gap for pipes to run behind so look out for that[geek]

It's your choice. I have all my works urfaces built at elbow height - much higher than normal.

I do not like bending down to use the sink or worktops.

If you put the cupbard units too high you may not be able to reach them

How high are you?

[quote user="Jo"]There is a regulation if you are fitting the cupboards over a hob, but I can't remember what it is [:$] I fitted my sister's IKEA kitchen and had to have a break in the run of cupboards over the hob as her ceiling was too low to accommodate the minimum distance requirement. Also as far as I remember IKEA kitchen units go right back to the wall, there's no gap for pipes to run behind so look out for that[geek]
[/quote]

650mm above the hob and a gap of not less than 150mm either side of a hob, Jo

The Ikea units do not have a service duct so be prepaired to screw a 2x2 to the wall to allow for this and don't forget to calculate that into the worktop measurements.

[quote user="Dog"]

... I have all my works surfaces built at elbow height - much higher than normal.

[/quote]

Doesn't mean you'll have unsightly gaps at floor level? You then have to modify the plinth (kicking board) and it can look out of proportion. Also the sides of the base units are normally designed for a specific height with some small adjustment (+/- 25mm say), to allow for get a level all around the room. With any mass -produced kitchen it's best to stick to the manufacturers recommendations I think, otherwise you finish up with lots of modifications.

Sid