Plasterboard alternative?

bixy

Lying in bed last night, thinking about the ceiling to be plasterboarded soon.  It is always such a struggle to get the board up and fixed, so I wondered if there might be a lighter, more manageable alternative. The board will be fixed to wooden joists and the ceiling is not load bearing, apart from the insulation.

All ideas gratefully received.

Patrick

Use 10mm board and if you buy it in the UK it is sold in 1.8 metre lengths specially for ceilings.

I am lucky enough to (for the moment) be able to use a leve panneau professional and honestly it is 100 times better than the cheap imported ones, I recently used a €199 brico-depot one and can testify to the difference, having a raised platform which you walk around to get all the screws in a 2.5 metre board is the main advantage but there are many other significant ones, stability - I lifted half a board to fix a bove a stairwell it was an of centre load with a CofG outside of the base area but it was stable.

I would advise anyone considering an E-bay purchase to buy a professional one in the UK and sell it on in France for a good profit after the works have finished.

If you buy enough plasterboard for a room local to us Reseau Pro will lend you a leve panneau. I have no idea if this is unique to our local one.

Last time I was in BricoDepot they also had very cheap 'gattling' gun style drill drivers for plasterboard screws. I dream of the last time I will go to BricoDepot because it means the house is finished.

I have when working single handed used pieces of 50 mm by 50 mm screwed to the wall, hinged the sheets up, inserted props,screwed in to tighten to the ceiling. For the central sheets 10 cms wide strips of ply and hinge up the same way. After a few days doing this on our previous house I ceased to be eponymous turned green and started bursting out of my shirts. Best of luck anyway

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm very tempted by lambris. I see that Bricodepot do a special ceiling lambris 4 metres long by 25cm wide. This is only going to be a store/general room so not too worried about the finish. How would you fix the lambris to the ceiling joists?

I've used one of those lifting machines when helping a friend with his ceiling. Even with two of us and 10mm board it wasn't easy.

Patrick

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

If you buy enough plasterboard for a room local to us Reseau Pro will lend you a leve panneau. I have no idea if this is unique to our local one.

Last time I was in BricoDepot they also had very cheap 'gattling' gun style drill drivers for plasterboard screws. I dream of the last time I will go to BricoDepot because it means the house is finished.

I have when working single handed used pieces of 50 mm by 50 mm screwed to the wall, hinged the sheets up, inserted props,screwed in to tighten to the ceiling. For the central sheets 10 cms wide strips of ply and hinge up the same way. After a few days doing this on our previous house I ceased to be eponymous turned green and started bursting out of my shirts. Best of luck anyway

[/quote]Reseau pro do the same here - I bought 15 sheets of board and they lent me a lifter foc. As for lambris - whenever I look at houses for sale in France and see wood panelling on the ceiling I think that would be the first thing I'd change if I bought the place. I think most Brits would have the same view so think carefully if you plan to sell in the future - unless you plan to sell to a French person.

[quote user="bixy"]Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm very tempted by lambris. I see that Bricodepot do a special ceiling lambris 4 metres long by 25cm wide. This is only going to be a store/general room so not too worried about the finish. How would you fix the lambris to the ceiling joists?

I've used one of those lifting machines when helping a friend with his ceiling. Even with two of us and 10mm board it wasn't easy.

Patrick
[/quote]

I just use a 25mm panel pin through the tongue so that the next piece when slotted in hides the pin head.

That's with the standard packs which I guess are about 75mm wide and 2m long . I havn't use the wider panels that you describe , but I'm guessing they will have grooves that will help to obscure the heads.You'll probably have to fit it at right angles to the joists.