FIXING GUTTERING

Angie

Hi all

Has anyone come across guttering which is fixed with "clips" - we have a "canal" tiled roof overhanging our terrace and it was suggested we used clips to fix the guttering to this rather than drilling brackets into the wall below. I am not familiar with this so if anyone knows what I should be asking for it would be very helpful or indeed whether this is a good way of fixing guttering.  Many thanks

This is the way our gutters are fixed. Not sure of the name but I've seen the clips in most bricos. You have to pop a hole through the end of your tiles where they overhang to attach the brackets. Just have a look at other houses - there must be some around you, most guttering I've seen under canal tiles is attached thus. Then go searching the Brico's for the clips you see!

Virtually all of the guttering in my village (and surrounding villages) in the Corbieres is attached with something like the Crochet Negre 88 shown here; [url]http://www.quincaillerie-angles.fr/CLIENT/index.php?menu=1&arbo_ID=338[/url]  Although mine are older and more solid looking.  As you can see, the crochets are attached to the tiles rather than to a wall or fascia board. 

I helped with the clear-up after the Tempete last year and can report that no gutters fell here - although quite a few roof tiles were dislodged on some buildings.  I have also seen the pompiers in attendance at a barn here with guttering like that.  There were no complaints from them.  If you're worried obviously, look into it further, there may be different rules (or application of them) in different areas.

[quote user="buelligan"]

Virtually all of the guttering in my village (and surrounding villages) in the Corbieres is attached with something like the Crochet Negre 88 shown here; [url]http://www.quincaillerie-angles.fr/CLIENT/index.php?menu=1&arbo_ID=338[/url]  Although mine are older and more solid looking.  As you can see, the crochets are attached to the tiles rather than to a wall or fascia board. 

I helped with the clear-up after the Tempete last year and can report that no gutters fell here - although quite a few roof tiles were dislodged on some buildings.  I have also seen the pompiers in attendance at a barn here with guttering like that.  There were no complaints from them.  If you're worried obviously, look into it further, there may be different rules (or application of them) in different areas.

[/quote]

Exactly what's used around here. Works fine, easy to fit & adjust + the pompiers can't have a problem because everybody has that system.  

The ones I have used do not require you to drill holes in the tiles , they "clamp on " the end of the tile using a "U" shaped plate with a screw that tightens the plate to the tile.The bracket is then adjusted for height on the clamp.Only to be used for plastic gutters of course.

Very effective and much easier to install than the masonery inserts.How they stand up to heavy snowfalls is another matter!

In the case of old canal tiles that may have become brittle it could be a problem.