please judge my slate roof

skelter

I am thinking about putting in an offer on this house with a slate roof. Since I have no experience with slate (I'm used to roof tiles), can someone comment on the condition of the roof (if possible)?

As far as I know, a roof is still alright if it is straight, not leaking and if the tiles are not falling off. The only thing I can think of now are the top tiles, they seem a bit too mossy. The rest seems ok to me.

Any thoughts?

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/5zpj15.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/10qgndw.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/29vbi1i.jpg[/img]

PS No compromis de vente yet, so the inspections have not yet been done (termites, etc)

Within the scope of viewing a photo and my own limited experience, I would regard the slate roof as being in a good state. There are no slipped or missing slates and the under cladding looks in very good condition. The roof timbers appear surprisingly true and the roof line looks uniform.

I wish our roof looked as good but it is weather-proof and stable. I have no intention of replacing the roof materials in the forseeable future. We bought the house eight years ago and there has been no discernable change in the condition of the roof.

Obviously your slate roof is not perfect but it is probably in keeping with the valuation and the selling price.

Good luck, Alistair

[quote user="Dog"]8/10.[/quote]

I cannot offer a score as the photos are not of your roof [:P]

9/10 for the one that you are thinking of buying though [;-)]

On a serious note the LH chimney may need rebuilding as it looks like something has taken root in between the brick courses, I had what seemed like a small weed sprouting but it had loosened several courses of bricks, in my case it helped with the task of removing it.

One of the problems with many of the slate roofs, in this area at least, is that the slate is very very thin. Quite often they look in good order but when you inspect them they are quite crumbly and porous and on their last legs. If you can get up there to have a wee look I'd advise you to do so and have a closer inspection. Just a wee thought.

Of course, UlsterRugby, some of these slate roofs are not of "natural" slates and we have seen many so called "ardoise" roofs that are really simulated slate and, as you say, are very thin and friable.

Other thing is that, whilst the slates themselves might be something like 2 and 1/2 million years old, the nails that hold them in place are rather newer!

Nails could rust and be no longer able to hold the actual slates in place!

And, Dog, how often have you seen people use ordinary nails on oak floorboards so that the nails stain the boards?

"Should" and "do"....not at all the same thing!

BTW, what glue do you use on your kites?  I am told that only rice glue should be used?[:D]

I was very impressed with your knowledge of the glue used to make Indian tissue fighter kites.

I would be interested to know how you knew that?

Manja is the ground glass covered cutting line used to slice your opponent out of the sky. It can be made in different ways and the people that make it swear by different glass bottles used. The maker I visited swore by Seven Up bottles.

There are also many different cotton lines to fly on and they have different brand names and colourful packaging - I forgot to say the cotton has a very low breaking strain not much stronger than button thread and manja which is very expensive is only used for the first 25 feet or so.

Ah, Dog, I did know about manja but just didn't know what it was called.

I knew about the rice glue because I have seen many a homemade kite being constructed.  Me, the only kite I've ever flown is one of those plastic ones that are meant to be idiot proof but I still didn't manage to get it air borne [+o(]

Going back to the roof, I guess it depends on the price and a raft of other factors before I'd know whether to buy the property or not.

If you do really, really like the property, you could use the state of the roof as some kind of bargaining tool, perhaps?

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Looks to have some slight sag nothing dramatic and in the slope rather than the ridge.

This was a good roof in its day with good quality sarking boards. even if you did need to re-roof at some point this is a good solid looking structure.[/quote]

Thanks, that's good to hear!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Of course, UlsterRugby, some of these slate roofs are not of "natural" slates and we have seen many so called "ardoise" roofs that are really simulated slate and, as you say, are very thin and friable.

Other thing is that, whilst the slates themselves might be something like 2 and 1/2 million years old, the nails that hold them in place are rather newer!

Nails could rust and be no longer able to hold the actual slates in place!

[/quote]

Sorry Sweet , 2.5 million years is merely a "blink" in the formation of slate , more like 400/600 million years.

An old roofer friend used to say the difference between Westmorland slate (green) and Welsh slate (blue) , was around 60 million years in the making.

Nail rot in slate roofs is a well documented occurence, copper nails not always used often cheaper galvanised nails were used at they drive easier and cost considerably less.

It was common for slates to be re-used in the past so they may have a number of nail holes in them if this is the case then salvage probably not worth it.

A reclaimed slate roof will probably last in the order of ten to twenty years with little bother whereas a 'new' (Accepting that slate isn't exactly new) slate roof 100years plus

The sarking boards may preclude the use of French style 'crotchet'? hooks unless you counter batten the roof (I would) this will allow excellent air exchange across the structure you could place a breather membrane over the first battens and  also allow you to 'Straighten' the roof by packing the lower vertical battens.  

I would clean and treat the roof for woodworm before putting new work to it.

So do you need a new roof ....doesn't look like it

Do you need to reslate ....I would say in five or six years you may want to think about it, in between times hope for a typhoon and a friendly Insurer!