Removing Super Glue from glass

Dog

I broke my specs and glued the lense back in with super glue and got it all over the lense.

White spirit wouldn't budge it nor cigarette lighter fuel but bingo MEK - methyl ethyl ketone did it straight away.

The fumes can give you liver cancer amongst other things so use it in a well ventilated area. The MEK I used was for melting plastic pipes together - MEK was used as a rubber rejuvinator in the printing trade but was banned some years ago.

Most High Diopta lenses today are made from multi-coated plastic: which is remarkably scratch resistant, as the final coatings resist damage from normal wear and tear.

They are also far, far lighter.

Interestingly, I still have a pair of glasses I had made up in 1972: for motor racing. The lenses are made from Triplex Glass and guaranteed shatterproof! The guarantee is still in the glasses case.

Soft slick tyres as commonly used then were notorious for sucking up small flints when hot; and throwing them from the periphery of the tyre at huge speed later on.

The very talented Austrian driver Dr Helmut Marko was blinded whilst driving in the French Grand Prix: a stone thrown up by Emmerson Fittipaldi's Lotus, penetrated the safety visor of his fully enveloping Bell Star helmet and blinded him in one eye.

I immediately changed my Bell Star visor for one guaranteed to take a charge of buckshot from a 12 bore from ten feet!

But I still had the safety glasses made up too. Belt and braces!

Boy! Are they ever heavy!

You have to worry when the weight of your glasses comes into consideration in a sporting event.

Quartz still has a higher refractive index.

I just wear goggles that will withstand a shotgun blast at short distance.

Modern hi-powered motorcycles with sticky tyres shoot out grit at high speed and it doesn't half hurt when you ride in cotton trousers.

[quote user="Dog"]

I broke my specs and glued the lense back in with super glue and got it all over the lense.

White spirit wouldn't budge it nor cigarette lighter fuel but bingo MEK - methyl ethyl ketone did it straight away.

The fumes can give you liver cancer amongst other things so use it in a well ventilated area. The MEK I used was for melting plastic pipes together - MEK was used as a rubber rejuvinator in the printing trade but was banned some years ago.

[/quote]

MEK is still used in some industries.......