Two separate lights from two-two way switches

andyps

I can't find a wiring diagram for this so hopefully someone can help me - basically I want to have a light at the bottom of a staircase and a light at the top, either of which can be independently controlled by switches at the top and bottom of the stairs.

I have diagrams for va-et-vient switches, and have successfully wired some, but I would like confirmation that the scheme I have drawn for this double version is correct for re-assurance before I connect and switch on!

If you know how to do a standard landing light circuit you just need to do it twice over.

Alternatively do as most French electricians and use poussoirs (momentary switches) to activate a tableau (or elsewhere) mounted contacteur, I find that most Fench electricians like to bury them in a ceiling void or some other obscure place so that when they fail you can never find them, you remember it clicking when it did work but can you remember where the sound came from?!!!!!

[quote user="Chancer"] I find that most Fench electricians like to bury them in a ceiling void or some other obscure place so that when they fail you can never find them, you remember it clicking when it did work but can you remember where the sound came from?!!!!![/quote]

That made me laugh.................... I can just imagine a few people going round, making little marks with felt-tip pens after reading that. [:D][:D]

I wish my first tenant/housesitter in the UK had made a note of where the sound from the cordless doorbell came from when it rang, then my neigbour/handyman could have just replaced the batteries instead of putting in a whole new wired doorbell.

In doing so he found the battery powered chime, right behind the front door in what he has to admit was a sensible place as he had chosen that location for the wired one.

[quote user="Chancer"]If you know how to do a standard landing light circuit you just need to do it twice over.[/quote]

That is how I have it sketched out (I hope!!) - was just hoping for reassurance I am right, thanks.

[quote user="andyps"][quote user="Chancer"]If you know how to do a standard landing light circuit you just need to do it twice over.[/quote]

That is how I have it sketched out (I hope!!) - was just hoping for reassurance I am right, thanks.[/quote]

There you go Andy.

[quote user="Chancer"]

If you know how to do a standard landing light circuit you just need to do it twice over.

Alternatively do as most French electricians and use poussoirs (momentary switches) to activate a tableau (or elsewhere) mounted contacteur, I find that most Fench electricians like to bury them in a ceiling void or some other obscure place so that when they fail you can never find them, you remember it clicking when it did work but can you remember where the sound came from?!!!!!

[/quote]

And sometimes they put the relay in a nice neat little box set in the wall with a couple of other connections. The relay is on the right hand side.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Jar-a-worms.jpg[/IMG]

We have several of these and after looking in a couple I put the lids back on a bit smartish!![:-))]

But at least I know where they are?

[quote user="Jonzjob"][quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

And sometimes they put the relay in a nice neat little box set in the wall with a couple of other connections. The relay is on the right hand side.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Jar-a-worms.jpg[/IMG]

We have several of these and after looking in a couple I put the lids back on a bit smartish!![:-))]

But at least I know where they are?
[/quote]

Plus how do they get so many cables in a small diameter piece of rigid conduit - does it shrink with age?

Paul

Surely a normal 2way lighting circuit doubled up!

In France there is a very convienient 5core+earth cable to enable two pairs of strappers and a common or if wired in singles a choice of colours.

A good book with curcuits is:-

Depannages et Renovations Electriques

by Thierry Gallauziaux

a COM ME UN PRO series.