chain saw problem

chirpy

The tension is too tight. Or the end cog on the blade has worn and is sticking: or the centrifugal clutch is not releasing. The blade could be twisted, slightly.

Start by stripping out the blade and chain: then remove and check the centrifugal clutch.

It is quite common for wood dust, chips etc to build up in the clutch mechanism and around the drive sprocket. This is not helped by the chain oil building up and it forms a nasty mucky mess.

Strip it all down and wash out chain, blade, clutch and housing with petrol: thereafter check each bit as you reassemble.

All of the above, plus......

I have just done a chain saw for a friend. He had been using the very tip of the bar,leaning on it quite hard, and had worn it to the bar had a reverse curve at the very end, this meant the the chain when adjusted correctly, still wouldn't turn., but it sounds like a tension problem to me, probably linked to a worn chain.

[quote user="f1steveuk"]All of the above, plus......

I have just done a chain saw for a friend. He had been using the very tip of the bar,leaning on it quite hard, and had worn it to the bar had a reverse curve.
[/quote]

Good way to encourage a Kick Back...............

Very dangerous........

yes..Today I took off the cog which drives the chain as I noticed it had a little bit of one of the teeh very worn and replaced it with another one I had from my first purchase in france which had a very worn out engine .The chain now runs smoothly when I pull it by hand.

I have not cut any wood with it as I am busy with an electric model cutting wood to length for the next awful winter.

thanks for your help.