Old loft beams

Doodle

Hi all,

I've just done the woodworm treatment on the old beams in the loft and would be very grateful for any info regarding the next step ie whether to oil/varnish/wax them. I don't want to change the colour as they are a nice oak colour and I'd prefer a matt finish. The beams are a mixture of old and new so there is some colour variation but I quite like the idea of seeing the difference.

also, if you have any photos..........

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Is this a live in loft or just a loft loft?? If the loft is used for no other purpose than storing goods, use a bucket of diesel and splash it about.

That's what farmers do to their timber. No expensive oil/wax etc. just diesel as it comes out of the pump.

You can use this even if it's a live in loft, just keep the windows open for a while.

Alternative is to use cheap engine oil (new from the supermarket but the cheapest band is ok) then brush at will on your timber. After a few days the smell has disappeared.

I can't get my head round diesel and as my mother-in-law (aged 78) will probably be staying in the loft and loft bound (hopefully) (only joking) I am sure she'd think I was trying to kill her off!!

Chris