Anyone know Figeac?

groslard

I live about 40 mn from Figeac and as much as I like going there for a day out, I'd hate to live there.

I find its popularity with tourists makes it overcrowded most of the summer and you can really feel the heat in the narrow streets.

The weekly market is great and the riversides are very pleasant. Lots of little shops and restaurants, not overly touristy.

As you mention you're walking with a stick, you might want to check where the properties in question are, as the town has some rather steep streets. Also, parking in the centre can be a pain.

Attractive town, pleasant to visit from time to time but I wouldn't want to live there (we live about 30mins away). Up and down with some cobbled streets, many of them narrow but your stick would be handy to clear a path through the tourists in the summer.

John

not 

Thanks again. It's the personal perspective which is valuable. Anybody can look longingly through web sites!

In fact I am not too afraid of Summer crowds: I have lived in French cities such as Marseille, Toulouse and Montpellier, and my first job was in in Pézenas, which also has an influx in the Summer, so much that it has the nickname of 'Guildford High Street'! In any case I usually spend the summer in Eastern Europe.

I really do need a small compact town so I don't have to walk far, with enough shops open all year to survive without a daily resort to driving.

Are the 'commerces' in Figeac open all year, or are they the 'mushroom' sort, with lots of gift shops etc? I have also seen other small towns in the region such as LA TRONQUIERE and LACAPELLE MARIVAL, but they really do look too small to survive without frequent use of a car.

And are the essentials (bank, Doctor, Post office,Pharmacie,  basic food shops, cafés etc) closely grouped so I can do them in about half an hour on foot?

I have seen a couple of appartments which would suit me as they don't involve too many stairs.

Thanks again for any more information or suggestions.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="groslard"]I may get an electic mobility scooter soon.[/quote]

Just a note here and somebody may correct me but I believe mobility scooters are not available (legal ?) in France ?

[/quote]

I have not seen anyone with a ticket Ernie [:D].

John

[quote user="groslard"]
I really do need a small compact town so I don't have to walk far, with enough shops open all year to survive without a daily resort to driving.
Are the 'commerces' in Figeac open all year, or are they the 'mushroom' sort, with lots of gift shops etc? I have also seen other small towns in the region such as LA TRONQUIERE and LACAPELLE MARIVAL, but they really do look too small to survive without frequent use of a car.

And are the essentials (bank, Doctor, Post office,Pharmacie,  basic food shops, cafés etc) closely grouped so I can do them in about half an hour on foot?

[/quote]

Figeac - the Saturday market is open all year as are most of the shops. There are some touristy type gift shops that seem to close in winter but who needs those anyway. Figeac is, by Lot standards, a large town with a permanent population of 10 - 15,000 and a sous-prefecture. Banks and post office are near each other but not very near the central market and might be a challenge for you.

La Tronq - you will need to ask Clair about this, it's more her neck of the woods.

Lacapelle Marival - lovely little place, far smaller than Figeac of course but it has everything. Ecomarche supermarket is not in the town centre and though not far would be a driving job. There is a Spar type though right in the middle.

A new one for you - Aynac - small, many and varied shops are closely grouped but no supermarket or bank, just La Poste. With a decent sized store cupboard you would rarely need to leave. Downside though is a pair of highly undesirable English who live close by [:P] so not sure I can recommend it.

If you are serious about this part of the Lot (and we love it) suggest that you holiday here and see if you are sufficiently mobile for the towns you mention.

Happy hunting

John

and

I don't know how heavily you've set your heart on the Figeac area but in terms of what you say you're looking for my village of Prayssac 20m or so W of Cahors definately ticks all your boxes.

It's compact and virtually flat, not really touristy at all, has a good selection of year round shops including a Champion and an Intermarche (both with petrol stations), at least 2 doctors surgeries, 2 pharmacies, a Mr Bricolage, Peugeot and Renault garages, 3 banks, Las Poste, we've even got a Cinema !

For more shopping Fumel is about 8m further W where there is a Leclerc and quite a few other shops for white goods and furniture etc. plus of course Cahors itself is not far away and is where the Prefecture and CPAM offices are.

When looking for our house we were very conscious of having everyday facilities near at hand and it was one of the major reasons we eventually chose Prayssac. Many villages were appealing but in so many case the facilites were just not there.

Just a suggestion [;-)]

Thanks everybody!

Figeac came to mind because I have been looking at the eastern end of the Lot valley ( the part still in the Aveyron specifically St Geniez D'Olt) , and one day venturing a bit further afield I went past without having time to explore: it looked attractive and the right sort of size,  and looking  at web advertisements since I have seen one or two appartments in my bottom of the price range.  However, other suggestions are more than welcome....

I'm not a newcomer to France, but I have recently retired, and am looking for a less stressful environment than city life.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Thank you Poppy, forgot to mention that and not had occasion to avail myself of the service [:D]

Are you in the locale I wonder ?

[/quote]

Not far away, in Luzech. Do most of the shopping in Prayssac though and not much you can't get there. It's changed a lot since we first arrived and all for the better.

I am very interested in the info  regarding villages such as this as I am also going to start looking around and need to find somewhere with transport and other facilities in order to be reasonably independent as a retired lady on her own.

Like you, I have visited some delightful places but would be marooned if either the car wouldn't start or, in years to come, I wasn't able to drive. I look forward to reading about other such places that I can put on my 'list' to investigate in due course.

Regards

Laurier