Cutting through flint

Mr Coeur de Lion

My friend is trying to drill a hole through his exterior wall to lay some plumbing.

The wall is some 50cm thick and he has hit what seems to be flint in the wall and there is no chance of any drill bit going through it, so I'd assume he needs some sort of diamond cutter or bit. The hole needs to be large enough to take a 50mm pipe.

What does he need and what would it be called in French?

it is a "Carotteuse"

they are for hire in various sizes in hire shops. Normally water cooled.

Most but the smallest should be bolted (or somehow fixed) to the wall so that the drill stays exactly straight. You don't want to break the cutter - they are very expensive to replace.

You are normally charged by the amount of wear on the cutting edges. You need to go slowly and not force it.

I had a similar job (no flint though) and went to see about hiring the tool but in the end I just used an SDS drill and got there slowly, removed stones and patched up with some more stone around the pipe and yes, a fair bit of swearing too.

Danny

Yep, make a big hole. The time it takes to get to hire shop etc will be more than the time to make good around a big hole and a lot cheaper too.

But maybe not everyones a cheapo like me and it would be fun to try one of those fancy drills.

• 2 months later...