Worktops - input appreciated!

val douest

I have already had very helpful advice via the Forum on ovens, and our Ikea kitchen is gradually taking place, on the drawing board - or rather via the planning tool software at this stage.  Now I am in a quandary about worktops.  I rather like the stone composite ones from Ikea, or possibly quartz or granite from somewhere else.  I phoned Ikea UK twice today and had completely conflicting information: one operator said it would be impossible to buy an L-shaped worktop in stone and that they could only supply lengths (up to 3 metres) which I would have to join myself or hire someone to do.  The other woman told me I could have any length and any shape made to order, delivery 4-6 weeks.  Has anyone had worktops of this kind from Ikea?  The other possibility is something from the huge range at www.plan-de-travail-direct.com, which look to be well priced - again, does anyone have any experience of dealing with them?  I can't find anyone locally who just supplies and fits worktops as they all seem to be part of a package kitchen; Castorama, LaPeyre and Leroy Merlin don't appear to offer quartz, stone or granite.  Any information appreciated!

Thanks, 

Val

Decide what you want and go for it just the same way you would anywhere else - within your budget etc.

We have an IKEA kitchen (units) which we purchased online and had delivered by IKEA Toulouse.

We have granite worktops which we had installed and fitted by a local granite worktop supplier (round us (46/12/15), most of the kitchen suppliers use the same source for granite so it is quite easy to see the samples and decide on colours etc).

The granite supplier came and did a survey of the kitchen once all the units were fixed in place and using a special surveying tool attached to a tripod and a laptop they accurately plotted out the worktop shapes and sizes - including anything complicated (holes for taps / sinks etc). We have a tap hole, a sink hole and ridges for a draining board carved into the granite and we also have a double width section with cupboards on both sides. They will discuss with you how you want it edged - sharp, curved, polished etc.

We are totally delighted with our kitchen - both the units and the worktops.

We are in 46, the granite supplier is in Aveyron 12 if that is any good to you.  I can probably dig out the telephone number if you want it.

Irene

Many thanks for all the information.  I was especially interested in your granite worktops on an Ikea base, Irene, and think that may well be what we decide to do.  Unfortunately we are too far from you (borders of 65 and 36) to use the same suppliers so I shall have to try to track down someone local.  I would feel much happier if someone came and measured up once the kitchen is installed - any discrepancies are then down to them, not me!.

Thanks to Sydney and Huggy, too, for the English-speaking Ikea France helpline.  I was mystified as to why none of the Nutid ovens shown in the (current) catalogue appear on the website.  The helpline informs me the whole range is due to change sometime in August so all my research and heartsearching over what to buy has been for nought....ah, well c'est la vie!

Val

I recently had granite worktops installed by let us say a major marque here in France. It was to be correct a franchise of a major marque. Then the franchise went bust. I ended up with graveyard quality granite not worktops. Be absolutelysure that you are buying granite and it is sealed and sealed and sealed. We now have to replace everything for the SARL has gone bust. The sub contractor now confirms that the franchise holder tucked us up.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Its unlikely you get granite worktops in any shape.  It is particularly difficult to ship, the moment a granite worktop is dropped it is severally weakened.  Also, you normally have to cut out the hole for the sink on site as it cannot be transported with a hole in it.  Composite stone is a pretty good option and offers a good finish. Laminate worktops, not to the gloss worktops, offers the best for your buck and resilience.  I recently bought mine online from worktop.

We have composite worktops in our kitchen here in the UK and I love them.  Make sure you seal them as mentioned before, I use a glass coating that makes things waterproof for years and it made cleaning much easier, I am really anal about my worktops. 

One huge word of warning though, don't put anything hot on them, they mark and in our case it looks like some of the crystals have burst, not that noticeable but I know it's there.  Don't allow acids such as fruit juice etc or bleach to come in contact with them either, they can be marked quite easily.  Julie put a container with bleach in on ours at the weekend, I have had to treat it again costing £25 for one application.

Vinegar, lemon juice, bleach hot pans plus no doubt many more things will stain or mark them, the repellent I used has made a world of difference.  Don't get me wrong, I love them to bits but they are not as I thought, "tough as stone" the highly polished finish can and does easily mark.  Remember that and you will have a happy relationship.

Oh, by the way, you only need a diamond cutting disk and a Still saw/big grinder to cut them.   I paid some chap handsomely to come and cut my worktop my worktop.  I was expecting to see some flashy cutting device that cost thousands and justified the £100 cash in hand I paid him.  Imagine my disappointment when he pulls out this manky old 9" grinder.  Tisk. lol

There is a very good reason for us ending up with such a nice kitchen.  The estate we have our business on had a kitchen place on it, this outlet went bust (poor chap, was a really nice bloke too) and did one leaving all his display kitchens behind.  Our landlord wanted the unit emptying and offered us the kitchen almost for free.  Well being the helpful sort I am I obliged.  It is now helping us to sell our house, I hope.

That's why I got laminate -  I'm careful about hot pans and use those silicone mats, but the odd hot pan has never actually harmed the work top, I'm just being cautious. I don't have to worry about spilling wine or vinegar or bleach, and I could probably change them three times before I approached the price of granite....

Val, I am having a similar dilemma! However, I want a white marble worktop which in my opinion is much more beautiful than granite, not to mention it is cheaper. I have been thinking about a light granite but just don't like them and adore the marble but am being told from all corners including the supplier it is a lot more porous and softer than granite and should stay away.

However, the below forum makes interesting reading and perhaps a mat finish would be the way to go.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0613371314183.html

Would be interested to hear if anyone hear has one or is considering one in white marble. [:)]

No, mine are composite sealed with a high spec water repellent, before I sealed them I used to spend hours trying to ge an even finish after cleaning.  Despite the care needed I would not go back to laminated worktops now if I had the choice.

I'll try to post up a picture of them and the if it comes out in a photo, the bit that got heat damaged, you only see it if you know it's there so probably wont show on a photo.

They sound lovely would love to see a photo. [:)]

My biggest concern with the marble is not only the staining but the damage that acid can cause or the etching as described in the link. Can you say what product you are using to seal them?

I own a windscreen replacement company and have used a trade treatment on them, I tried Rainex but it was almost impossible to get an even finish and it doesn't last long.  I can sell you a pack at almost cost if you want but posting the name here would result in my getting shot or a horses head in my bed, there are very few products you can make money on these days and my friends in the trade would not appreciate me giving away their trade secrets.

Sorry - I hadn't realised my original post had become live again or I would have posted earlier!  Our kitchen is finished and we are delighted with the granite worktops which have now been in use for over six months.  We chose a black granite with small blue pieces in it which catch the light and make the worktop look as if it has just been cleaned even when it hasn't!  It has been very tolerant of hot pans and all kinds of spillages though I do try to mop up things like lemon juice rather than leave them sitting there.

The granite was bought from Sarl Voldoire who have a showroom and workshops in Arcizac-ez-Angles, just outside Lourdes, so might be of interest to the poster who restarted this thread. Tel 05 62 42 91 70, [email protected], http://www.voldoire.fr.  Once we had chosen the granite they came and measured everything up including the hobs which were waiting to be installed and they took away the sink, which was a special type for under-counter mounting. Voldoire are mainly monumental masons but have a big kitchen-fitting section now and are very clued up as to what works well for different requirements.  Our granite was supplied ready sealed and certainly the surface seems very stain repellent.  The fitters came with the granite delivery and made an excellent job of installing it.  There is just one join (as the main worktop run was too long for a single piece) and it is quite hard to spot.  As well as the usual polished finish (which we have) they can supply some of the granites with a soft leather-like finish - it's quite extraordinary and even feels warm to the touch!  We were told it's not as hardwearing as the polished granite so we steered away.  We were also enquiring on behalf of friends about replacing a damaged marble tabletop (Voldoire have a big selection of marble too) and were advised that pale granite would be a much better option as marble is not nearly so hard-wearing and scratches easily.

Hope this helps,

Val

• 3 months later...
Hi Irene

We are doing something almost identical to you (Ikea Toulouse) and we live on the border of the Tarn and the Aveyron. Do you have the details of the granite supplier in the Aveyron that you used as this would save us a considerable amout of time and effort finding a good one.

Gibson