The Value Of An Old Roof

pip24

I viewed an old cottage recently with a very old small, nearly flat, redish sand finished tiles. Although the roof did not appear to leak there was a lot of daylight to be seen from the inside. I remarked to the owner that a new roof would probably be needed in the near future. His response to that remark was that a builder had once offered him 7000 euro for the tiles.

Now, is it my suspicious mind, Thinking that I could smell something, or indeed are the tiles worth that amount of money?

A friend had a similar experience two years ago. She only found out the value of the tiles from a non-interested third party after her builder had removed and kindly disposed of the "waste" free of charge. She kindly chooses to believe that her builder didn't know. However as renovating and extending older properties is quite common, the need for such salvage must be growing and builders must be aware of this.

Yours sound like hers but I guess it's like everything else, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Pip, I'm about 3.5km from you in 24.

Depending on the size of the roof of course, it could be that you've got about 5,000 euros worth to dispose of.

There is a second hand tile dealer on the right hand side of the road, after St Cyprien and just before St Vincent de Cosse - if anybody knows the price they will.  Or try Graham Weaver at Ladywell Construction, he's based in 24 and a very experienced roofer - he did our roof, excellent job, well recommended - and he would be able to let you know.  I have his email address if you want it.  

Hi,    thanks for the help on prices for the tiles. I have just looked at a photograph of the roof and I think that there will be about 4000 tiles at the most. I think some would not be reusable. So to use Pierre and tj's figures the roof is probably only worth 400 euro,  not 7000 euro as I was first informed  Next week we will go to the second hand merchant that Tony suggested and confirm the value localy.

Phil 

• 4 months later...

Hello

I have just noticed your message. I am buying a house and have been told by a builder that I need a new roof. As it is in the same area,  I would be very interested to contact someone else who could tell me if the tiles are worth something.

thank you

[quote user="caroline"]...I would be very interested to contact someone else who could tell me if the tiles are worth something.[/quote]

Hi Caroline.[:)]

I may be missing something here, but wouldn't you be better off asking the builder to save and re-use as many tiles as possible for the new roof you need? 

For what its worth,we looked at having our roof tiles removed,tyvec sheeting laid after any repairs required and tiles replaced.

First problem,they were industrial grade tiles and roofer would not give more than two year guarantee,even with tyvec sheeting.

Second prob,it would have cost nearly as much to do that,as it would to have the new tiles fitted.(ten year guarantee,housing grade) due to fact that they would have to lift the old,store them and refit.Plus extra scaffold to enable that.As it was, the old were simply chucked into skip and work progressed at speed.End result,new roof that should not need any work for thirty or forty years hopefully!!

I truly admire some people for what they take on with a shoestring budget,but could not do that myself as I am somewhat of a perfectionist.(good job we're all different isn't it)[:D]