Laser distance meter - permitted in aircraft hand luggage?

joidevie

Not sure if this is the correct section, but does anyone know if I can carry  a hand held laser distance meter (the Leica Disto type, but a cheapie) in with my hand luggage?

It's marked 'class 2' laser product, but there is mention of 'no laser pointers allowed' in some airport security pages... Though many 'pointers' seem to be class 3 or 4..

Thanks if anyone has experience/knowledge of this..

[quote user="NickP"]Take the batteries out and it's no longer a laser. Simple! [:D][/quote]

yes, nice idea. But unfortunately the conversation will veer towards "your mate is on the plane with the batteries". Been there...got that T-shirt.

The last time I flew I had a climbing harness in my hand luggage. I managed to argue it thru in the end, but i was glad I had turned up with time to spare.

Exactly what harm can you do with it and what threat would it pose, batteries or not ?

When faced with such imponderables in the past I have stripped whatever it is down to its component parts so the numpty jobsworths at security no longer recognise what it is, most printed circuit boards look totally innocuous on their own.

Over several trips back and forth and split over two or three bags at a time I took a whole amateur radio station into Saudi like that.

What harm? The guidance doesn't say, I suppose they don't want to give people ideas. However, laser pointers are definitely listed (although whether the staff would recognise what they are and whether a laser measurer is different...?) but I could foresee problems if they showed up on a scanner. In Manchester, to give one example, yobbos use lasers to point at police helicopters, and get arrested for it (if caught), so there must be a risk of blinding presumably?

The following sentence comes up time and time again:  "Items such as knives, scissors, tweezers and laser pointers may not be carried as hand baggage and these should only be carried as hold baggage. Any sharp items found in hand baggage will be confiscated".

Whilst these security staff get on my nerves too, we had a guy from the UK Border Agency stay with us last year and he told us all about the plot which involved the liquid explosives and which gave rise to the ban on liquids in hand baggage; it was a very real threat and came closer to being a reality than we'd like to believe. I just grin and bear the checks it now, and don't take anything that'll slow me down, like wearing a belt, although it can be embarrassing standing with my trousers round my ankles. [:D]

Many of the airports seem to have improved their security checks now so that you get through quicker. It's certainly quicker than waiting for immigration at Orlando for example! Two hours last time [:-))]