Lime & Hemp rendering

steveg22

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of rendering using lime/hemp mix in France and especially sourcing shredded hemp here? I've read articles extolling its insulation virtues and ease of use. I'm shortly going to attempt the renovation of the external cob walls (at least the first application) and any help or information would be appreciated.

Steve

You might think I'm nuts but how about this?:

http://www.ecolit.com/fr/p-linolit-p3.html

Yes, I know it's a ad' for dobbin bedding but surely it's the same stuff? Somebody will know.   I've used it myself for bedding down my naggies and it's very good quality, dust free etc.  I imagine the principal is the same as for straw?

My parisien neighbours are doing this but sadly they're not at home at the mo'.  They are renovating their house with all traditional materials.  It's really fab!

Thanks for the help and pointers. St Aister 's website has some great info as well.

Another question needing answers please. On the gable end we have the usual metal bar inserted into the cob wall with the attached black electric cable descending to EDF's box - is this dangerous to touch? (I know it is if I cut it!!!!!) But working from a tower scaffold can I touch the black cable without being fried? The reason I ask is that, on a previous house the macon happily worked around the cable, pinning it out of his way etc but on a neighbours recent renovation EDF arrived, disconnected and moved the cables while the macons were rendering the walls. Is this Health and Safety arriving in France now?

Steve