Replacing ugly floor tiles

mrsblack

I disagree strongly.

Unless there is a height issue or the old tiles are breaking up due to a poor substrate then you cannot get a better base for tiling on than an existing tiled floor. Tile adhesive woks by suction [I]

If your property is old then the 1970's tiles are probably laid on top of the originals which may well be laid on a bed of sand over terre battu, you will open up a huge can of worms and involve yourself in huge expense if you start ripping that lot up as you would have to replace it with a screed and DPM.

In a 1979 build bungalow I would think it highly unlikely to find anything other than a solid base beneath the tiles.

Tiling over the existing floor covering means all fixed furniture, skirtings, doors, will require removing. Go round the floor tapping the existing surface checking for loose or hollow voids beneath. If present, laying on top will not remedy problems below!

The existing surface is also going to require a deep clean in order to remove any surface treatments, which in the case of porous tiles will have penetrated the material, before retiling.

No, get rid and start again.[:)]

Big jobs, hate 'em. Unfortunately they sometimes have to be done.

As long as your current tiles are solid, as was said, then you could go over them.

Our skirting boards were all tiles, which if going over the current floor would maybe need removing and replacing with the new tiles. I would always have tiled skirting with tiled floors, never need painting and are easy to clean. And I like them.

I had misread, I thought the tiles not the house dated from 79.

Still would recommend tiling on top unless you have wooden skirtings that you really like.

You may have to plane some off the bottom of your doors but judging by the fit that most menuisers achieve...............................[Www]

Thank you all, Chancer, Gardian, Salty Sam , Idun, Powerdesal and NickP, you have really helped us come to a decision which is to bite the bullet and re-tile, mainly because it is a sychological thing  as idun mentioned - trying to get the easy way out and also to avoid having other problems arise as was pointed out  - the issue of the heights with the other wooden floors.

It was cheering to see so many replies when I went online today and to see the names of such well-known posters. Thanks again to all of you.

Wins? Who wins? This is stuff of nightmares for me, knocking the house apart. Living with the dust and mess for ages...... or is that just us!!!!

Sorry mrsblack, not trying to put you off, you are obviously far more courageous than I am!