Selling a French home to Brits

[quote user="Chrissie"]

We have a French friend who wishes to sell his house and (rightly or wrongly) thinks it has "Brit-appeal".  How would he get it into a display at a French property exhibition in the UK?....

Chrissie (18)

[/quote]

Hmmmm...

Number of potential French buyers of a property in France? Perhaps 20,000,000. Number of potential Brit clients? Perhaps 20,000. SO, for every 1€ he spends on advertising at a UK property exhibition, he could place an advert in a national French daily newspapaer for a month....

Or is he daft enough to beileve that Brits are daft enough to pay over the odds...?? Are they?

Apparently...just at the moment the Brits are not buying!

Probably this is related to the fact that it is very difficult to achieve sales...

We all know what has been happening in the last few months.

I feel that it was brewing early last summer and at one point I had most of the local agents asking if they could sell my home.

I had three or four people bidding...including a cash buyer.

If I had waited from the safe option...the lawyer to get her mortgage....I may well have still been in London.

Because as my sale was passing from "exchange"the market flickered and the candle was about to burn out.

The Brits will now be very carefull as they know that the world is their oyster in France.

What is Brit appeal?

To each person appeal is totally different.My best friend likes modern property ...easy to maintain and keep clean.She is allways having to make repairs or replace.For me I like character .....seen enough bland housing in London...especially the council bloc

It never fails to amaze me how people leap on a thread and start picking away at it!  I would have thought the inverted commas in my original post just MIGHT indicate that the phrase, and the associated sentiments, were not my own....... Never mind, it's all clearly wasted on some of you.

As to the original query, I have solved it without the help of what used to be a very helpful forum.

Rant over.  (But I shall no longer be watching this thread, so feel free to carry on without me.)

A normally cheerful, but today p****d off Chrissie (81)[:P]

We are coming over for another house hunting trip in early March. We debated whether to bother given the slide of the pound but having tracked a couple of houses we might be interested in we've seen a reduction of the sticker price by around 15% already and our view is that if we do find anything we want to buy  it's unlikely we'd offer the asking price.

This might backfire of course but if we don't buy, we don't buy... they'll always be other houses.

"Brit appeal" could mean a picture-book-pretty house in a beautiful but financially/industrially-poor area.  A house is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it, in a financially poor area the local house prices will be somewhat depressed but the area may hold enough attraction for the already relatively wealthy Brit with higher-than-average buying power.

This article was posted up on another thread.  Brit (or Dutch, Scandanavian, German, Parisian etc) appeal could explain thids apparent paradox: http://www.midi-life.com/News/8Feb2004.htm